Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Plane choice for a beginner?

Sounds like you are having good times in the shop. Don't never stop.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Archi View Post
    So I sold some of my sharpening stones (about $600 worth)
    Sharpening stones, I like sharpening stones!

I'm not sure which plane to buy. A #5 jack has been recommended a lot reading through threads but I have a tiny workshop (will find the measurements, but it's in a one bedroom apartment so I can't bust out a #7 jointer on an 8' board) and don't have room to do large projects.

A #5 may be too large for my needs. While interested in furniture making I don't know where to start. A #4 sounds like it'll be good but not for taking off lots of material like a jack could. If i want to start with some pretty ugly stock and would need a scrub too and then would a #4 be enough to true it up?

I was also looking.at the veritas chisel plane in lieu of a rabbet/router plane.
    My first hand plane was a #4. I own a scrub plane, and it is smaller than the #4. If you are thinking scrub plane, take a #4 or #5 and use a more heavily cambered blade with a wide mouth; especially since you are space limited.

If I were to cut back on my planes and I was choosing between a #4 and a #5, I would own a #5. I currently have two usable #4 planes (I send you a PM about one of them). I think that I have a third one in a box. it is new in original packaging and I have not had time to check it. I think I also have a #5 in the same condition. I do not remember how many usable #5 planes I have (could be two, but I just do not remember).

If i want to start with some pretty ugly stock and would need a scrub too and then would a #4 be enough to true it up?

I was also looking.at the veritas chisel plane in lieu of a rabbet/router plane.
    Steve mentioned creating your own Chisel plane as though it was a trivial task... I am way to busy to complete all my tasks, but, this sounds like something to look into.