Been turning larger bowl blanks~~20+" round ~~12+" deep--30#+(??). The PM 4224 handles the mass fine but as I turn the corner I frequently catch an edge and the blank stops and I hear an apparent belt squeak and when released the blank spins up to speed immediately. I tightened the belt as much as I could without using a prybar and it feels quite tight between the pulleys. I keep arbor speed at the mild earth tremor point and speed up as balance improves. Generally use a 5/8" bowl gouge but have been Robo Hippying it with a large scaper as well. Both have the same result if I get too greedy or catch a prominence. Is this standard ops, bad technique, low speed, worn belt?? Having a blast making bigger bowls and want to learn optimal techniques.

Another thought, I have leveling casters on the legs for mobility ease and they raised the height ~~2 3/4". It seemed that arm position wasn't ideal so I just made brackets to still use the casters and lower the height 2 1/4". haven't turned anything yet--paint still drying-- so maybe tool angle will make a difference. Thanks, John.