Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table saw blade on shaper

Andrew, brings up a good point about fluttering of the blade. My 8" blades are a 3mm kerf and good for a lot of gaskets but for tenoning or deep cuts a thicker blade is much better. I have also found for deep cuts the slowest 3000rpm speed is better.

I should not show this picture of using a 14" blade and please do not try this at home! We had to exactly reproduce a few custom casements that were made 40 years ago by a company no longer in business. Could have had a custom router bit or table saw setup for this but wanted to get er done. Tilting shaft is good for this type work.

Note - This could be made a safer setup by building a plywood hood around the saw blade. I do have a tenon hood but it would not work with the wood fence.
    14%22 saw blade.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 03-30-2017 at 2:04 PM. Reason: Safety note

I'm usually the last person to get squeamish, but wow. I'd get the part started and hide behind something. I'm sure it was fine, but that looks hairy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Larry, I was starting to develop a spoiled brat complex about always showing pictures of my Martin gear.
    IMHO anyone that gets tired of looking at them needs to find another hobby or profession.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Larry, I was starting to develop a spoiled brat complex about always showing pictures of my Martin gear. After a year of blood, sweat, time and money I restored this 40 year old rust bucket T23. I think I feel better now…

Shapers with the side mount table are hard to find. There are a couple tables only for sale in Europe right now but expensive to get them here.
    I just got it set in place the other day. That is a newer Univer feeder that I had on the machine. I am restoring the one that came with the machine and it is built heavier and goes up and down easier than the newer ones.
    I did a write up on the Canadian Vintage forum about the restoration.
    Attachment 357288
    I have decided to weld a nut on the top of my Univer like that one so I can use a cordless to raise and lower. With the double spindle I have to raise it all the way to get enough room to flip because it is in the middle, or when I swing it around to use on the jointer and the table is 44" wide on that shaper so a pain to crank reaching out that far. I'm also changing all my handles to long nuts and hang a flex head Ratchet Wrench on the feeder, much easier. No permanent changes except for the top of the feeder. But then, its not a Martin.

I assume you painted the Univer, could you get new stickers or are those original? That machine is something to be proud of, I'll check out the build thread when I get time.

Back to work............

Martin - It was not so bad, we spin that blade at 4000 on the sliding saw and only 3000 on the shaper. With the power feed and running flat on the table I think it was safer than doing it on the saw. In hind site I would have made the threshold in 2 pieces and ran before assembly. We puzzled over how the original makers did this.

Van - Thanks, I worked my way up from the bottom on tools so I really am thankful for what I have now.

Larry - That is the newer feeder, still working on the old one.

Saw blades certainly can be run on a shaper. Amana even sells a dado set in their current catalog specifically for that purpose (8" blade with 3/4" or 1" bore IIRC.) Just be careful not to run it too fast and make yourself a good guard.