Thread: Rust Hunt Trades?

Rust Hunt Trades?

Had to take the Boss out yard sale-ing the other day......decided as long as I was in the area ( o tools at the sales) I wander into a junk store.....and found a Stanley No. 4c......made in England, Model G12-004.....price tag said....$45!

About crossed it off the list....drove the Boss home with her treasures, and thinking about that plane....hmmm, hav a "British" No. 4, a nice bright BLUE one at that. Not real fond of it, anyway. Decided to see IF I could trade planes with the guy....on the way out of the shop, picked a second " plane shaped object" to take along, as there was a decent block plane sitting there at the store....The was a Crapsmand #4, Handyman made, grooved sides . Figured I'd at least get a block plane for it.....

Went in and laid the two planes on the counter, asking if they'd do a trade? "Sure" Walked over to the shelf to get the two planes....change of plans.....there will be two planes for two planes, even up, no cash involved..

So, what did I come back home with?
    trade planes.JPG
    Well, I got the English Stanley with the $45 price tag still on it, and that other #4 sized plane behind it...
    front view.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 9,type 4
    back view, Stanley.JPG
    Traded Stanley for a Stanley, just this new one is a "c" model. Black Japanning, Brass hardware and a frog adjust bolt...
    back view, mf.JPG
    I traded the Crapsman #4 wannabe for a the Miller Falls No.9 from about 1955. last of the "good" models.
    Soles are crack free..
    soles.JPG
    Not too bad a day?

Have done a bit of clean-up/rehab so far....IF anyone wants, I can post a bit about that..
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-02-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Removed implied profanity

Blog Entries
    This is a curious story. Did the planes you had look a little nicer than the ones he had?

It would seem if someone walked in wanting to trade two planes for two planes that are pretty much alike one would become curious about the intentions.

Now if your planes were cleaned up and you gave him a talk about how you love removing rust from old tools but you don't really need all the old tools he might feel a bit of sympathy for a rust addict and do the trade.

As said above, this is a curious story.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have traded a few items there before. They "Buy, Sell, and Trade" all manner of things.... outside, there is even a rack of two-mad crosscut saws. They two I took in had been cleaned up.....but the two I took home seemed to be much better planes.

No cash involved, I guess he thought I was selling mine, instead. I noticed my two were quickly placed on the shelf where i "picked" the new ones from.
    After all, Would you trade away a Sears Craftsman plane that was almost as bad as a Stanley Handyman under the lever cap....and get a Miller Falls No. 9, type 4 in return?

The two Enlish Stanleys? Mine was the smooth soled, Bright blue version, the traded for one was the Brass hardware, grooved sole Black Japanning version.

Trade was even up, no cash was asked for from either side. wasn't much talking involved, just a question about doing a trade. That is the business they are in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I have traded a few items there before. They "Buy, Sell, and Trade" all manner of things.... outside, there is even a rack of two-mad crosscut saws. They two I took in had been cleaned up.....but the two I took home seemed to be much better planes.

No cash involved, I guess he thought I was selling mine, instead. I noticed my two were quickly placed on the shelf where i "picked" the new ones from.
    After all, Would you trade away a Sears Craftsman plane that was almost as bad as a Stanley Handyman under the lever cap....and get a Miller Falls No. 9, type 4 in return?

The two Enlish Stanleys? Mine was the smooth soled, Bright blue version, the traded for one was the Brass hardware, grooved sole Black Japanning version.

Trade was even up, no cash was asked for from either side. wasn't much talking involved, just a question about doing a trade. That is the business they are in.
    Sounds like you did good and traded "looking good" for quality.

A lot of people do not know much about hand planes. A lot of folks never heard of Millers Falls, but they just know Craftsman is the best stuff.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Made some progress on one of the planes yesterday..
    ( the "Before" pictures are above)
    right side.JPG
    This side was very rough, not so much pitted as just rough. the other side just needed cleaned up
    sole.JPG
    Same with the sole, right side was very rough. Sole was basically flat, I merely sanded it down to get rid of the bad spot back at the heel.
    paint job.JPG
    At one time, this was a shiny, nickle-plated lever cap, until it contacted a case of Rust Measles. Most of the plating was flaking off. I removed the mess, and shined the bare metal up. That is a paint pen to repair scratches on cars. I come back today, buff the red off the "STANLEY" so it will show better, didn't have that funny orange/yellow flavour of paint
    Now, about that iron/chipbreaker....Gaposis Extremius. Got the gap fixed so the chipbreaker will sit flat on the newly flattened back of the iron
    iron's back.JPG
    Almost had to flatten the entire iron, had sat way too long clamped up. I used the beltsander to flatten and sharpen the factory grind bevel..
    guide work.JPG
    Belt is a worn 80 grit. Held for the camera, but when I was using the sander, I had both hands on the Veritas MK1 guide, with a couple fingertips down near the edge of the iron. When those said the metal was too warm, I dunked the iron into a cup of water that was sitting beside the sander. Once the new 25 degree bevel looked good, I set a 600 grit medium India stone right on the belt. Sander was unplugged, but the belt held the stone without it sliding around. Later, I was up to a 2000 grit Wet-or-Dry sandpaper. Used Simple Green on the stones and papers. BTW, the back was flattened by holding it at the side of the sander, with the fingertip control. It also saw the oil stones, and the sandpapers.
    Was able to assemble the plane. The brass items had been polished bright, frog and the frog's seat cleaned up. Set up a 2x4 in the leg vise, for a few test drives
    test drive.JPG
    Took a few tries to get the depth set. CB is set 1mm back from the edge of the iron. The shavings? I have no "mic" in the shop ( unless you count me...) but, I can at least read a paper through them.
    Then, happened to remember..I forgot to strop the edge,,,, maybe next time around..
    The plane is a Stanley No. G12-004, a #4c model, made in England. Japanning is black, hardware is brass.
    next up? When I get back to the shop, I have the other plane to rehab...might take...2 hours total?
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Cobwebs and other crud have already been removed. Hardware has been wire wheeled clean (brass wire wheels)
    DSCF0008.JPG
    And handles have been wiped down.
    Which leaves the sides and the sole to do, and then the iron and chipbreaker will get tuned up.
    Might even find some time to do a bit of woodworking today?

Steven,

This may be one of those trades where you both came out ahead. He has some items that look nice and work well now, making them much easier to sell for more money, and you have better planes than you did have.

Stew

As for that Millers Falls No. 9...rehab is completed today....
    shavings.JPG
    made some shavings with it..
    view 2.JPG
    Sides are cleaned up, another owner had his initials scratched into both sides.....Sole is now flat, it was hollowed in the center of the entire sole. Iron is flattened on the back. This time, I remembered to strop after I got done with the 2500 grit...
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Front knob does have about the same details as the back handle does. Turns out, I also have a slightly older version of this plane in the shop
    2 planes.JPG
    Except it has Rosewood handles. Maybe a prewar type 2. The new one is a Type 4, last of the Good ones..
    .British Stanley.jpg
    The British Stanley I traded off...I can't find a picture of that Craftsman. It even had a gray painted lever cap, with a red painted, inset logo.....and them grooved sides.
    SDC13762.jpg
    But this one will give you an idea about how bad it was...and this one was a little better, even..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-02-2017 at 4:44 PM.

Sounds like you guys both came out ahead. And you have yourself a nice haul there.

I think he has planes that are a lot easier to sell... And you have some nicer planes to use that took some work to get going. Craftsman is definately a well recognized name, as is the Stanley you traded.

I am a big fan of Millers Falls planes. I find they are generally better users than Stanleys.. But they just dont have the collectors base and consequently dont see as much value. I hardly ever see them.

After perusing similar shops - I get the distinct feeling that there maybe isnt a whole lot of demand for hand planes. Especially not for rusty ones with names that aren't well recognized and those that have seen better days. Those sort of things can sit around for a long time. Chisels seem to be a different situation. They seem to evaporate in a hurry around here at least.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Sounds like you guys both came out ahead. And you have yourself a nice haul there.

I think he has planes that are a lot easier to sell... And you have some nicer planes to use that took some work to get going. Craftsman is definately a well recognized name, as is the Stanley you traded.

I am a big fan of Millers Falls planes. I find they are generally better users than Stanleys.. But they just dont have the collectors base and consequently dont see as much value. I hardly ever see them.

After perusing similar shops - I get the distinct feeling that there maybe isnt a whole lot of demand for hand planes. Especially not for rusty ones with names that aren't well recognized and those that have seen better days. Those sort of things can sit around for a long time. Chisels seem to be a different situation. They seem to evaporate in a hurry around here at least.
    Chisels are also a consumable item that is also used by the uninitiated for scraping thinset and opening paint cans. Hence, I think that they ahve a lower survival rate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Chisels are also a consumable item that is also used by the uninitiated for scraping thinset and opening paint cans. Hence, I think that they ahve a lower survival rate.
    I gave a bunch of chisels to a friend and his wife since she had an interest in doing some woodwork. About a week later he told me how handy they were at removing tile during the rehab of their bathroom and kitchen.

Another friend wanted to use one of his woodworking chisels on some steel as if it was the same as a cold chisel. It was difficult convincing him that it was rather dangerous to do such a thing.

Wow! It just came to me. Both of these guys are computer systems workers. One of them does have some mechanical background.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-03-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Wow!

Hi Steve,

I'm curious to know what your process is for flattening the soles and sides?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    view 2.JPG
    Sides are cleaned up, another owner had his initials scratched into both sides.....Sole is now flat, it was hollowed in the center of the entire sole. Iron is flattened on the back. This time, I remembered to strop after I got done with the 2500 grit...
    Be Blessed

George

beltsander.JPG

Black sharpie lines across the sole, sand until they are all gone.

Better looks at the rehabbed planes?
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Stanley No. 4c ( G12-004)
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Side view....
    DSCF0004.JPG
    And the sole.
    DSCF0003.JPG
    cast into the rear deck: G12-004 Made in....England
    DSCF0012.JPG
    Lookanybetter than when they came to my shop?
    front view.JPG
    Price tag? $45, just for the Stanley......Traded my two planes for these two