Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #5 1/2 super smoother ala D.C. (or #7 ala A.P.)

Here's my worthless take on the subject:

Rob Cosman uses a 5 1/2 as his main bench plane, but his teacher was also Alan Peters....

I'm always leery of any advice that unequivocally states this is the best for "you" ;-)

When I'm preparing a common width board as a reference face, something 4" or wider, and more than 12 inches long, my go to smoother is a 5 1/2. It's also my workhorse for joining panels from those types of boards...may switch to one of my infill panel planes if it's difficult grain, but that's because I have them and they work on difficult grain.

Beyond that Kees is spot on, and for me it could be a tiny wood smoother, and infill miter, or a LN 4 1/2, or any of many other smoothers. My go to "Kees" smoother that lives on the bench is a Voigt coffin.

With all that rambling, the real answer is:

It depends ....and that's a huge spectrum of variables and causalities LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Tony

If you plan to use the chipbreaker to control tearout, you will need to set it each time to suit the conditions. There is no one-size-fits-all setting in this situation. For this reason, a second blade-plus-carrier is not relevant. Learn to set the chipbreaker.

If it is not your intention to use the chipbreaker, get a higher angle frog, say 50 degrees. Then you can have an extra blade set up ... because it will not matter where the chipbreaker is placed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    That seems to be the advantage of the Veritas custom (and to a lesser degree the LN) in that you can change frogs to any angle, use the chip breaker, or even go with a single iron.

Still want to know: do the extra blades come with their own blade carrier (ring to mount it to plane)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    So the extra blades come with a blade carrier? That's great news if they do because it doesn't show in the pictures.
    Well, you have to add it to the basket too, then it comes together

Actually no, it is another item that you have to order separately. It was in spare parts on my German web shop, around 10€. There is also chip breaker in spare parts available separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Kharitonkin View Post
    Well, you have to add it to the basket too, then it comes together

Actually no, it is another item that you have to order separately. It was in spare parts on my German web shop, around 10€. There is also chip breaker in spare parts available separately.
    Havent been able to find them on the US site.

Blog Entries
    It might be necessary to call customer service on this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Indeed, they are nowhere to find there... I bought it here: https://www.fine-tools.com/customben...cessories.html

Have no idea where else to find them... Nobody else lists them.

Hi Tony

Hope you're keeping well! Have you got a decent Bailey #5? If you have, keep going with that or if you haven't, track one down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sVCcvewB0
    Then, keep going with making some simple pieces.

You may want to call customer service - not everything available is on the site. I was after an odd part and the customer service person gave me the item code. You then just add that code into the memo box when checking out and they add it to the order.

Indeed, they are nowhere to find there... I bought it here: https://www.fine-tools.com/customben...cessories.html

Have no idea where else to find them... Nobody else lists them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    You may want to call customer service - not everything available is on the site. I was after an odd part and the customer service person gave me the item code. You then just add that code into the memo box when checking out and they add it to the order.
    ill double check if I finally go this route but combing your two responses I wonder if the code number is 325435

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Hi Tony

Hope you're keeping well! Have you got a decent Bailey #5? If you have, keep going with that or if you haven't, track one down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sVCcvewB0
    Then, keep going with making some simple pieces.
    I don't have a decent #5. I have looked from time to time but have a hard time spending $150 for one.

ill double check if I finally go this route but combing your two responses I wonder if the code number is 325435
    Nope, that German site has its own numbers, not related to Lee Valley item numbers, sorry... If only I could find the plastic bag that came with blade carrier...

Nope, that German site has its own numbers, not related to Lee Valley item numbers, sorry... If only I could find the plastic bag that came with blade carrier...
    No problem. I can email them.

$150, spicy.

$150, spicy.
    Spicy? Is that some English colloquial?

Kinda, I was asserting the price was "hot"

Kinda, I was asserting the price was "hot"
    Insee them for cheaper but they're sold before I get to them. I'm a lot more open to one since watching Richard Maguire's sharpening videos.