Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many marking gauges do you have?

Currently 2: Tite-Mark with the additional Mortise blades and a 4" Hamilton. Eventually I'll get a panel gauge and call it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Derek,

Following your article at the time, I bought a Kinshiro and modified it like you suggested, except I did not do the inlay. Maybe I'll go back and finish the modification. Can you post the article again please

Also, an article of interest is :

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar..._marking_gauge

Hi Lowell

I'm not sure which article you mean, so here are a few:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingGauges.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...nTheCheap.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingGauges.html

Hope that helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have three marking gauges, which is adequate for a professional shop. I have a marking gauge, a mortise gauge and a panel gauge. If there were another guy working in the shop I would definitely buy two more gauges.

In the Seaton chest (1796) there is a cutting gauge, a marking gauge, and a set of mortising gauges. In those days mortise gauges with movable pins were not in general use, so there needed to be one gauge set up for each mortise chisel. In the Seaton chest each mortise gauge beam had four sets of pins, one on each face.

Blog Entries
    I have three mortising gauges, one panel gauge and one marking gauge. I cut a lot of double tenons and typically setup two gauges for that, then a spare if I'm running multiple jobs at the same time.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have a titemark long, titemark regular, a couple of four inch Hamilton and a cheap Marples pin gauge. Just ordered an KV micro adjustable

I have 11. Veritas twin beam, veritas pocket, marples mortise, marples cutting, Stanley twin beam metal, Stanley metal pin, plus ones I made, pin, single bevel knife, Japanese style knife, spear point knife and a panel gauge. All are used for different situations. The one most used is the spear point knife that I made.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    This string of responses proves I am not the only one that is taken with marking gauges.

I only have one lee valley wheel guage. I have a feeling that will eventually change. I think I'll make one someday, something like the sexy ones I see pictures of with dark exotic wood and shiny brass... Ohhh Yaaaa.

Probably 8 or 9 including a few vintage ones. Why do you ask ?
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I think I'll just get by with that one I have....would get a bit confused as to which gauge was marking what spot....KISS

I've got just one, a Stanley 47-061, unused before I bought it for $2 at a Rocky Mountain Tool Collectors meeting. I've used it numerous times and enjoyed planing to the line.
    Replaced all interior doors of the house. Doing a full remodel, just the kitchen left to do. Started taking cabinets off the wall yesterday.

As Warren notes, one only needs a few gauges for most work. And as Steven points out, more can become confusing. Still, gauges are cheap tools, and if you like experimenting, then go for it. I only keep out the ones I am using at the time, generally 2 or 3. The flip side is that there are many times with some projects that you will wish for an extra gauge to avoid changing settings on the gauge(s) being used.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a couple of gauges too, but also use mostly two on projects, a pin or knife gauge and a mortising gauge.

About getting confused, I have a pin gauge with two pins, one on the top and one on the bottom of the beam, independantly adjustable. Often I don't remember which is which and have to remeassure. I think I am going to cut one of.

I thought I was extravagant buying 2 Marples Mortice marking gages from Tools for Working Wood. Double pins on one side and single pin on the other side. Under 20.00 apiece so I splurged.
    That said, I cannot break myself of the habit of setting my try square to length with a set of dial calipers and scribing off of the rule end.

Just one...
    dodeca1.jpg