Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aggravated with NOVA chucks

1. The Vicmarc 120 is a pretty good size chuck. Are you using on a full size lathe or a midi? It's a great chuck for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    The Vicmarc 120 is a pretty good size chuck. Are you using on a full size lathe or a midi? It's a great chuck for sure!
    On the laguna 18/36. I can always pick up a smaller vicmarc if needed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    ...I think there are some QC issues with the Nova lineup as I have read from more than one person about wobble. Since the older jaws ran true, I knew it was the new jaws and not the older chuck, so I actually took a gouge and trued the jaws, and everything is fine,
    ...I have 5 SuperNova's that I have accumulated over the years, and they are good as well, but nothing made over the last 4 years or so....
    If there were recent production problems I must have gotten lucky. I have 16 Nova chucks, some over a decade old, a couple purchased in the last few months, and some in between. Some bought new, some used. A couple are G3, some are SuperNova, some SuperNova2, and one Titan. I haven't seen any runout/wobble on any of them.

Greg, If the chuck body has runout on all chucks mounted, try them all on on another lathe. Even if the spindle lands are perfect perhaps the spindle threads are not.

If the chuck body has no runout then you might check to see if the jaws were sawn apart correctly. I think they machine the jaw as one ring then saw it into four pieces. If one or more of the saw cuts is not placed correctly or not perpendicular to the chuck face, a hard steel piece held tightly in the jaws could wobble considerably even if the curves of the jaws themselves were perfect.

If the chuck body has no runout, you will get the best results gripping a tenon almost exactly the diameter of the ID but just a hair over to have enough wood to clamp to. But I'm sure you know that already.

Of course, the four jaws must be mounted in the right order or everything will be wonky. I assume you were careful about that and checked the mating surfaces for burrs, dents, or a bit of sawdust or something.

JKJ

I have a friend who had problems with runout on a Nova chuck which he eventually traced to a poorly-machined insert. I have a Supernova 2 and a Oneway Talon. I have a friends with several Talon and Stronghold chucks. The Supernova looks nicer with the closed back and the hex key, but I like the Oneway chucks better. The taper-lock adapters work great. The jaw have a greater range of motion than on the Nova chuck, and the open backs have never caused me any problems. I give them a shot of compressed air now and then to clear out any dust. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Oneway chucks.
    --Geoff

I have a Supernova 2 chuck also. I quit using it and got a Oneway. The Supernova 2 has a little bit of runout. It has a factory insert which I have taken out and reinstalled a couple times to try and correct the problem. The Oneway is perfect. I was disappointed as I had an original Nova with tommy bars and was direct threaded that was perfect in every way. The machining on it was perfect. I believe it was made in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If there were recent production problems I must have gotten lucky. I have 16 Nova chucks, some over a decade old, a couple purchased in the last few months, and some in between. Some bought new, some used. A couple are G3, some are SuperNova, some SuperNova2, and one Titan. I haven't seen any runout/wobble on any of them.

Greg, If the chuck body has runout on all chucks mounted, try them all on on another lathe. Even if the spindle lands are perfect perhaps the spindle threads are not.

If the chuck body has no runout then you might check to see if the jaws were sawn apart correctly. I think they machine the jaw as one ring then saw it into four pieces. If one or more of the saw cuts is not placed correctly or not perpendicular to the chuck face, a hard steel piece held tightly in the jaws could wobble considerably even if the curves of the jaws themselves were perfect.

If the chuck body has no runout, you will get the best results gripping a tenon almost exactly the diameter of the ID but just a hair over to have enough wood to clamp to. But I'm sure you know that already.

Of course, the four jaws must be mounted in the right order or everything will be wonky. I assume you were careful about that and checked the mating surfaces for burrs, dents, or a bit of sawdust or something.

JKJ
    John, I'm not suggesting other people don't have good nova chucks as I see plenty of people using them. Just that I feel the two samples I have, have varying degrees of bad run out. I am perfectly willing to admit that it very likely could be the adapters and not the chucks themselves. That said, if both samples obtained from different vendors at different times in last few months displayed the problem, it makes me feel quality control might be an issue.

i can attest that the jaws were numerically attached to the proper spot and that there are no detectable burrs or sawdust underneath them, but I can't say about your other comments.

The vicmarc is on order as replacement for the supernova2 although I'm still wondering if oneway would have been a better choice. It runs about the same price as the vicmarc. Regardless once received I will compare the two. If it displays a truer turn and better mannerism then I'll know my concerns were correct on the nova even if I can't yet put my finger on the cause. If it doesn't show marked improvement then I know to shift gears and go for round two in trying to figure out what's going on. Either way, it should be interesting to see since the vicmarc is considered to be one of the top line chuck designs.

I have 19 Nova chucks, I also have Vicmarc, Oneway, Bulldog and Axminster chucks. No problems with any of them, all run true. I put the jaws on loosely and then tighten the slides fully closed and then tighten the screws on the jaws making sure that if they are numbered they are put on in the correct order. And for the person earlier in this conversation who thinks Nova Chucks are copies of other Oneway or Vicmarc you should look at chuck history as the Nova chuck was the first made for woodturners almost 30 years ago. And you might be interested to know that the first Vicmarcs were very much a copy of the Nova even opening and closing in the same directions. Face it there is no company making anything that doesn't have an error now and then including all that I have mentioned. I have heard of complaints of every chuck I mentioned except the Axminster (probably because they are not sold by anyone except Lee Valley in North America that I know of so they are not widely known) but they are a nice chuck.

I returned my SN2 chuck 3 years ago for the same issue, replaced it with a stronghold and have not had any more problems

You are right that there are bound to be items that slip through QC or have errors now and then. I guess I just have that kind of special luck where I'm drawn to those error copies more often than not these days. LOL

Regardless, I'm very hopeful that the Vicmarc coming proves to be a stellar copy and it can serve as my larger piece chuck until I build up a larger collection of chucks. If it does prove better, I will replace the G3 with another smaller chuck, even if it uses separate jaws from the Vicmarc 120. Nothing personal here against Nova as I started with all Nova stuff. Just aggravating to receive what I am perceiving as a problem child.

Since you bring it up, how does the Bulldog fair against the Vicmarc? They advertising using the same jaws and being able to use the vicmarc jaws. I'm assuming the bulldog jaws also fit the vicmarc? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I have 19 Nova chucks, I also have Vicmarc, Oneway, Bulldog and Axminster chucks. No problems with any of them, all run true. I put the jaws on loosely and then tighten the slides fully closed and then tighten the screws on the jaws making sure that if they are numbered they are put on in the correct order. And for the person earlier in this conversation who thinks Nova Chucks are copies of other Oneway or Vicmarc you should look at chuck history as the Nova chuck was the first made for woodturners almost 30 years ago. And you might be interested to know that the first Vicmarcs were very much a copy of the Nova even opening and closing in the same directions. Face it there is no company making anything that doesn't have an error now and then including all that I have mentioned. I have heard of complaints of every chuck I mentioned except the Axminster (probably because they are not sold by anyone except Lee Valley in North America that I know of so they are not widely known) but they are a nice chuck.

You have already returned the SN2 and it may well have been poor quality control. I have seven Novas and never had a problem which wasn't easily corrected.
    For your G3 check.... First jaws were installed as Bill Blasic described (and per the manual), jaws are left slightly loose and then scrolled in and then the screws are tightened. The interior of the chuck may have a small shard of metal from production. Nope should not be there but I was able to pick up a very small shard with a damp q-tip and it corrected the problem. I had one where the insert was very tight and I had to use more pressure than normal for the insert to seat.
    Attached are pics of inserts. In the first pic you will note the L is upright on the Nova (right side) and the L is on its side on the Woodcraft (left side). Yours is probably a D insert, if the D is on its side instead of upright then it is probably a Woodcraft insert.
    You will note on this link the first insert is a "Nova insert" for 1X8, the third is a "Insert for a Nova".
    https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=n...&button=search
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    You have already returned the SN2 and it may well have been poor quality control. I have seven Novas and never had a problem which wasn't easily corrected.
    For your G3 check.... First jaws were installed as Bill Blasic described (and per the manual), jaws are left slightly loose and then scrolled in and then the screws are tightened. The interior of the chuck may have a small shard of metal from production. Nope should not be there but I was able to pick up a very small shard with a damp q-tip and it corrected the problem. I had one where the insert was very tight and I had to use more pressure than normal for the insert to seat.
    Attached are pics of inserts. In the first pic you will note the L is upright on the Nova (right side) and the L is on its side on the Woodcraft (left side). Yours is probably a D insert, if the D is on its side instead of upright then it is probably a Woodcraft insert.
    You will note on this link the first insert is a "Nova insert" for 1X8, the third is a "Insert for a Nova".
    https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=n...&button=search

I'll have to check but both of my inserts came in the small little cube shaped nova box, not a clear bag like woodcraft uses. Will report back shortly.

EDIT: Okay, both of mine came in the small Nova Teknatool box and both have the "L" upright like the adapter in your picture on the right. I'm assuming that is genuine OEM nova then.
    I also went ahead and removed the chuck from the insert and reset it a few times as well as loosening the jaws, scrolling the chuck in and then retightening the screws. Neither brought the chuck back into the "few" thousands range like I see others saying is acceptable, and I can't say that I
    see any perceptible change or improvement. I'm not sure if the insert is at fault, the chuck is at fault or maybe even the jaw set is not balanced or something. Regardless, it is a pain that I'm even having to mess around with it to try to get a true turning chuck in the first place. I know in
    woodworking it is common to have to do a lot of tuning on new machines, especially band saws, to get them running right, and I'm open to all the suggestions in the world as I'm fully aware the issue may be me, but I really think something is out of whack on these two samples as opposed
    to it needing additional tweaking. Hoping the vicmarc is good out of the box, but we will see.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-09-2017 at 10:34 AM.

The seldom talked about Axminster SK114 chuck may be a step up from the Oneway Stronghold and Vicmarc 120. It's advantages are stainless steel construction, safety jaws with rounded edges, in body threading (no inserts) and impeccable machining. And surprisingly enough the price is very competitive with the Vicmarc 120 even though it's made in the UK.
    axminster1.jpg axminster2.jpg

Steve, it looks beautiful. I keep waiting to see you put some jaws on it though. Where did you get it?

From the variety of posts I've seen you comment in or start, I am piecing together that you have a nice oneway 24" lathe with at least one oneway stronghold, a vicmarc 120 and the axminster sk114, in addition to a lot of assorted attachments. So, I'm jelly needless to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Steve, it looks beautiful. I keep waiting to see you put some jaws on it though. Where did you get it?

From the variety of posts I've seen you comment in or start, I am piecing together that you have a nice oneway 24" lathe with at least one oneway stronghold, a vicmarc 120 and the axminster sk114, in addition to a lot of assorted attachments. So, I'm jelly needless to say!
    Greg - I purchased the Axminster from Lee Valley. The only jaws I've used with it so far are a set of large button jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Greg - I purchased the Axminster from Lee Valley. The only jaws I've used with it so far are a set of large button jaws.
    Thanks. I like the Axminster too. One thing I like is the lack of adapter as it likely limits some of the chance for play, but it also means if I graduate to a larger model one day I might not still fit. Lots of models appear to use the 1.25 x 8 spindles but I've seen a few larger ones on the larger models.

I'm thinking of getting the Vicmarc cole/button style jaws as they have 14" model that will hold bowls up to 16" that should fit over my bed. Their 18" model looks like I would need a larger lathe swing to handle.

Regardless, it looks like most people amass a collection of chuck/jaw sets for various tasks that might span multiple brands depending on which brand seems to fit the jaw selection and usage need best.