Thread: Hearing Protection - Peltor

Hearing Protection - Peltor

I've been using the 3M Peltor X5 (-31db) for a few years now after reading a post about them in this forum. Wish I had adopted them years earlier. I have been promoting them as a "must have" to my tool-using friends ever since. Today I received an e-mail promotion from Fine Woodworking for 3M Worktunes, which according to the specs are just -24. How much "worse" is that than the X5? Is that adequate for the workplace? Can Worktunes be configured to buzz when the cell-phone rings?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    I'm no expert on sound levels and I don't sleep at Holiday Inn Express very often. I found this helpful explanation at Cooper Safety Supply.

"When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector’s NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13. This means that if you are at a rock concert with a level of noise exposure at 100 dB and you are wearing a hearing protector with an NRR 33 dB, your new level of noise exposure is 87 dB. If you are wearing a product with an NRR of 27 it would deduct 10 decibels (27-7/2=10)."

So the -33 db would reduce the sound level by 13. The -24 rated would be (24-7)/2 = 8.5 db reduction. So if your saw produces 90 db with the Peltor you would hear 77 or about the same noise as freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m.. With the Work tunes with the same saw you would hear 81.5 or standing next to a running garbage disposer. However, playing music in your work tunes will affect their level of protection.

As I recall, a 3 db change is double the loudness. However, noise exposure depends a great deal on the duration of the sound level and your distance from it. You can't go wrong with more reduction when it comes to sound level exposure in terms of protecting your hearing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi, it's a bit complicated.

For "A" weighted protection (which the Peltor are, to determine the actual reduction of sound level at your ear, let's assume 100dBA noise level

Peltor (33-7)/2 = 13 So the sound level at your ear would be 100dBA - 13dBA = 87dBA.

3M Worktunes (24-7)/2 = 8.5 so 100dBA - 8.5dBA = 91.5dBA

I can't answer if that's OK without knowing the original sound level and the number of hours of exposure.

85dB is often used as the 8 hour exposure level. Adding 3dB will halve the time so 88dB will be 4 hours, 91dB 2 hours............Rod.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I don't shop for specific brands, but when I buy earmuffs I look for the highest noise suppression ratings and 31 db seems to be near the top, I sometimes wear mine over my earbuds when listening to my favorite podcast or radio talkshows which helps dampen the noise further.
    I had a pair of 24 db earmuffs a few years ago with built in AM/FM, audio jack and active noise canceling but they didn't do a good job filtering out power tool noise and were not very comfortable to wear mainly because of the extra weight.
    I believe noise suppression is somewhat subjective anyway because we don't all have the same hearing across the whole frequency spectrum, also firearm hearing protection is different from protection needed for powertools with a high frequency noise level.

Gentlemen, very helpful. I didn't understand how the NR rating worked so your examples were very helpful. I just "impulse purchased" another set of hearing protection rated at 34NR. It is always useful to have more than one set around the shop. Several folks posting in the past had commented on the possible distraction one might encounter playing music or news while working, and that is a valid consideration.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 04-11-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    However, playing music in your work tunes will affect their level of protection.
    Now don't get me wrong; I'm a rocker from way back and have nothing against music played at true-to-life volumes . . . Close proximity sound (music in this case) being used to overcome other sound requires a bit of caution and common sense. I used to work with a guy in a noisy environment. When I pulled my passive earphones I could hear his earbuds from 5 feet away!?! Whatever the result of your search, use close-quarter music sources with caution.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have 3 or 4 pairs of Pelton ear muffs hanging from the ceiling around the shop. I just have to reach up. At work one area was extra noisy, when working there I used both foam ear plugs and Pelton ear muffs. At the end of the day I felt much less tired.

However even double protection isn't enough at the range. I have tinnitus in my left ear, I'm right handed.

I actually use 3M Peltor X4A and I really like them. They are a bit smaller and much less bulkier than the larger options but have good reduction ratings as well.
    Last edited by Matt Hardy; 04-17-2017 at 11:37 PM.

I like to use the Husvarna loggers helmet in the shop and outside. It has Peltor earmuffs attached and a face screen which will not fog up. I believe the Sthil may be the same. The China ripoffs have half the DR or less.even if you believe their ratings which I do not.
    Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Pro.../dp/B0030MIHBY