Thread: Upgrading an old metal body plane?

Upgrading an old metal body plane?

Hey all,
    I have rehabbed a few old planes that were hand-me-downs from my father. I love to use them for the nostalgia, but for performance I like to use my few 'high-end' Veritas planes. One of my favorite features is the use of set screws for securing the lateral adjustment. I have contemplated modifying an older Stanley by drilling and tapping to add the same feature. Has anyone else tried this? What was the outcome? Is it worth the effort? I have an old #4 that I picked up cheap and I don't mind giving it a try. I figure worse case the screw placement/geometry doesn't work and I can just yank-em out and use as original. I also figured this could help with 'sloppy' lateral adjustment knobs.

I've thought (wondered) briefly about doing that. Never more than a brief thought. So, I encourage you to do it, and report back on how it turns out. If it seems to have some value, I might do it on 1 or 2 bailey style planes I have.

Blog Entries
    I also figured this could help with 'sloppy' lateral adjustment knobs.
    The 'sloppy' lateral adjustment has more to do with the size of the disk relative to the size of the slot in the blade than it does with the blade being in square.

My only concern with installing set screws is finding ones short enough to not stick out of the sides and whether or not the drilling might weaken the casting. Another worry would be in figuring out how to locate them.

If you do this, keep us all informed of the outcome. Who knows you may start a trend.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian AdamsMS View Post
    Hey all,
    I have rehabbed a few old planes that were hand-me-downs from my father. I love to use them for the nostalgia, but for performance I like to use my few 'high-end' Veritas planes. One of my favorite features is the use of set screws for securing the lateral adjustment. I have contemplated modifying an older Stanley by drilling and tapping to add the same feature. Has anyone else tried this? What was the outcome? Is it worth the effort? I have an old #4 that I picked up cheap and I don't mind giving it a try. I figure worse case the screw placement/geometry doesn't work and I can just yank-em out and use as original. I also figured this could help with 'sloppy' lateral adjustment knobs.
    interestingly enough, Justus A. Traut patented that idea in 1884, and the patent is cast on type 5 planes and later, (according to datamp.org) but was never applied to a Stanley plane. Let us know how it works out. The patent has expired, so your good, :-)
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Isn't right beside the mouth a weak point in bailey pattern planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian AdamsMS View Post
    Hey all,
    I have done this with a few planes. Here it is on a BU infill I built from a #3 body ...

Yell out if you want help in adding this in.

It is important to realise that the screws are not to support the blade in use, but to aid in replacing the position of the blade after sharpening. It may also be used for tiny adjustments. I find this very useful, and value this aspect of all the Veritas planes I own.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Is your sharpening regimen precise enough to ensure you dont need to readjust laterally?

I wonder about doing this on a plane with an adjustable frog.... If for no other reason that the set screws may not find the same usefulness with the frog adjusted to a new position.

Blog Entries
    Show off

I wanted to try that on a Bailey plane but I changed my mind when I realized that moving the frog to open or close the mouth in front of the iron would result in the screws not being in line with the iron. Instead, I am contemplating the use of some sort of spring washers or "blades" that would allow the adjustment of the frog while the springy things would maintain contact with the iron. Blessed are those who have the mouth opening controlled by a moving toe (or a plane with a fixed mouth opening like the magnificent infill Derek made).Happy Easter! André