Thread: Martin Tour

Martin Tour

A couple of months ago I decided to purchase my dream tablesaw, a Martin T60C fully automatic.
    I bought my first TS, a Craftsman contractor saw from Sears when I was 15. I used that saw to help pay for my first car, college, and to pay for flying lessons. I also worked for a cabinet shop in LA while going to school and flying. My passion has always been flying and woodworking and they have always kind of been intertwined like a symbiotic relationship. Even while serving our nation as an instructor in the USAF I still spent a ton of time in the base wood shop. So, I kind of look as my early days of woodworking as what funded my career as an airline pilot and now as a captain I am using my career as a way to fund my woodworking passion.
    Since I fly for free, my wife, daughter, and I decided to fly to Germany to see if we could see the birth place of my new machine. I did the same thing when I purchased my lathe, a VB36 produced also in Germany. To me, it's a soulful little twist to see where your machine was produced and actually talk to the folks that built them.
    Anyway, from Frankfurt, we drove to Ottobeuren, an old, quaint little town in Bavaria. Like old, I mean, Middle Ages old.
    I pre scheduled a tour of the factory with Stephan Dieterman a sales director for Martin.
    He gave us a full 2 hour tour of the facility beginning with a small Martin museum.
    I should say, I felt just as welcomed and appreciated as someone who just placed a million dollar order.
    I will attempt to post some pictures here but I'll apologize in advance for pics that are upside down or sideways.
    First of all, all Martin machines are "composite" meaning metal, iron, and concrete. They fill each metal body with a special formulated concrete. They feel this method yields a superior stable base.
    IMG_0563.jpgIMG_0562.jpgIMG_0555.jpg

After the bases are fully cured, each machine gets hoisted into a large CNC platform where it is machined to accept all its components.
    Here is a T54 jointer prior to machining. It weighs apx 1000lbs before anything gets assembled to it.
    IMG_0554.jpg

I'll continue this story tomorrow with more pics.

John

Awesome story. Life is a journey
    Bob C

Please continue! This is super interesting!

Oh man...I should bookmark this thread to comeback and read it as I'll be traveling for the next couple of days.

You have my attention!!! This is amazing!

That's a really kewel thing to do a factory tour like that! 'Glad you could make that arrangement and thanks in advance for telling us more!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I ever get over there, I hope they will oblige me a tour as well. I have 4 of their machines in the shop now, and have owned 4 others, so I guess that makes me a fan of their stuff.

Love this post. I have a T-60C as well and have a T-45 with a helical head on the water right now. Would love to tour Martin ..

I think Joe Calhoon has toured there too. Maybe he will also share some pictures. Hint hint. Dave

During the tour, I asked Stephan who their largest North America customer is, and I believe he said..."MasterBrand". They are one of if not the largest cabinet manufacturers in the NA. He also mentioned our own... Joe Calhoon as a great customer. Apparently Joe gives invaluable product feedback to Martin. At one point, we walked by a super cool custom painted T75 PreX. It was a polished steel body with burnt orange lettering. 7 coats of lacquer finished off the paint theme. The saw was going to one of Europe's huge woodworking fairs (like Vegas). Martin will paint your Machine(s) any custom color you want and apparently many companies choose this option to match their company's logo/colors.

I think this came up me up recently on a different thread but Martin has all their castings produced from a foundry in Northern Germany. Anything that is not produced in their factory is produced in Germany.
    Here is a stack of T45 planer beds.
    IMG_0557.jpg
    And speaking of T45 Planers.... saw many of these amazing machines in various stages of production. 80% of their customers order TERSA heads. And surprisingly, a TERSA cutter head is more technical to machine than a Helical cutter head. Stephan did say however that the helical heads are gaining in popularity/orders.
    I know Rick Fisher ordered his T45 with a helical head. Got to say, these heads look like "jewelry" to me.
    IMG_0556.jpgIMG_0560.jpg

The carbide inserts were being installed by hand as I took this picture.

Here's a picture of the factory floor. There are apx 125 Martin employees. Martin also employs many young apprentices for all aspects of their production. They offer three year programs but sadly most of their apprentices get enticed away from Martin by larger companies.
    IMG_0561.jpg

The he most impressive machines I saw their were their shapers.
    I really had no idea how sophisticated their machines are.
    Here are a few pics of a T12 and the monster T27. Hmm, I can't download the pics? I'll try again in my next post.

So, it takes three days to move a T60C through the assembly line. Like I said, I ordered my saw nearly six weeks prior to my tour. So what are the chances that I got to see my saw on day two of its production??
    IMG_0550.jpg

The first thing my wife said when she saw this beast was..."and where is this going???

ill finish this this up later today.

John

Awesome report John. Congratulations
    Steve

Nice John! Looks like you got a good tour. Stephan is a Meister trained woodworker as are a lot of the Martin staff. His wife also has a Meister degree and both have built a lot of hand crafted furniture in their home. I have a lot of pictures but do not want to hijack your thread. There is a nearby woodworking shop that would test Martin prototypes. (lucky to be them) I don't know if they still do that but one of the machines they had was a T26 shaper. The top and a lot of parts were just heavy sheet steel and not nicely finished out.

Did you get pictures from the museum?
    Joe