Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Why buy European machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Larry, If it is a problem with a dc transformer or switch and not getting current to the lifting motor you can power the dc motor with a 24 volt or so cordless battery. might be something simple as a tripped switch in the box. Replacement transformers for these are easy to find here.

When the lifting motor went out of our Martin shaper I removed it and ran the up and down with a driver on a cordless drill. We had a new motor in a couple days.
    Joe
    It was the transformer Joe, but in anticipation of that day I had a new one on the shelf. Was back up and running in no time, took me longer to find the transformer than to fix it.

Glad you where able to fix it so fast Larry .. how long did that Transformer last ?

I get your point Rick but consider if it was a computerized control system rather than a simple DC lift motor, I would not have been able to fix it myself. Thats the part I do not like.

I agree Larry .. I was actually curious how old the planer is ..

Complicated electronics have me stumped right now .. I can run the planer, or run the slider, but I have to completely disconnect the other machine (not being used) from the electrical before I do ..

I'm sure it will get resolved, but its annoying ..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 05-16-2017 at 12:59 AM.

I bought it new about 20 years ago, this was the first malfunction other than the boots rotting off. I made them throw in a transformer as part of the deal along with ten sets of Tersa knives.

You remember what you paid for it ?

I had an electrician over today to look at the Martin issues.. He fixed it in 20 minutes.. He tested the transformers in the machines.. Tested the Phase Perfect hot wires to each other and to ground. When testing terminals to ground the Phase Perfect gave 117V 117V and 213V ..

He went to the transformers again.. tested them again .. Then moved some wires in the breaker box.. And said .. try it ..

Fixed.

He basically wired the two Martin Machines so the leg that was 208 (213) to ground wasn't powering the transformers.

I asked why the other machines didn't have issues .. he said they where different.

The machines run flawless now ..

I had the same problem and meant to post about it but forgot. I had a SCMI with a transformer. Wires into the machine were numbered and I was careful to not use the 208 to the transformer. Took me more like 20 hours to figure out the number rings were swapped so 2 on main terminal turned into 3 on the compartment with transformer. Your electrician is ten times smarter. I have a couple extra transformers now. Dave

Apparently the manufactured leg is not referenced to ground ? Any experts out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    You remember what you paid for it ?
    I bought it off the floor at the Grand Rapids show and hauled it home on my truck, paid $9600. I stole it!

I waited till the show was over and vendors were starting to pack, then laid down cash. That was about $3K off of list with the Tersa. At that time the Tersa head was a $2k option.

Way above my pay grade but PP creates a mfg leg that measures 208v to ground. High leg Delta vs 208 which has all three legs measuring 120 to ground. Although any two legs measure 240 to each other, using the mfg leg seems to screw up a transformer with 240v input such as what is in many Euro machines. Using a transformer to step voltage up to 480 or 600 works fine although there are grounding issues, particularly if reverse feeding an isolation transformer. I just used two transformers to get to 600v and because multiple single phase transformers wired open delta are delta to delta vs delta to wye, you need to corner ground the high side. My point here is that lots of reading is needed before hooking up transformers. Dave

Like I said previously, you need to keep track of the generated leg and keep it off of sensitive electronics, coils and control transformers.

label that wire everywhere.

So nice have 480v pole power.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    So nice have 480v pole power.
    I don't know how you anyone could do this job without 3 phase. 480 is just nice so you don't have run a billion amps into the building. (And it's nice buying less wire on 480v)

The crux is always distribution and panel space though.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I bought it off the floor at the Grand Rapids show and hauled it home on my truck, paid $9600. I stole it!

I waited till the show was over and vendors were starting to pack, then laid down cash. That was about $3K off of list with the Tersa. At that time the Tersa head was a $2k option.

I don't know if you have a 24" or a 20", but a new 24" scm class is about $18k today, not including shipping, tax, and whatever else they can tack on. That's after playing three different salesmen against one another to get that price. I thought I had a line on a 24" Kolle, but I took too long to make up my mind and it sold.

If I go new, it's one of those dumbass deals, where I go okay, I can get the class machine for $18k, but I might as well get the L'invicible for $23k since it'll look sexy sitting in the shop, but I might as well spend a little bit more and just get the Martin....

I'm hoping something suitable pops up used within a few states sometime soon. I'm not real thrilled about dropping that kind of money on a planer. If I go new, I'll likely just go with the scm class.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I don't know how you anyone could do this job without 3 phase. 480 is just nice so you don't have run a billion amps into the building. (And it's nice buying less wire on 480v)

The crux is always distribution and panel space though.
    In Germany, the standard for residential dwellings is three-phase 400/230V service. Almost all hobbyist, and serious, shop equipment is available in 230V and 400V versions.