Greetings,

I'm trying to recreate some very old doors from an old cabin, for my new cabin.

Wood is cedar, it's been stickered in my shop for over a year. I took my time milling the pieces and set aside a lot of boards, so now I have a very flat plank door. The door is random widths, glued T&G joinery with a v groove on each joint. The plan was to clinch nails through the doors into a crossbrace, hoping to get a structural member perpendicular to the grain in the planks but with the ability to flex a bit laterally across the door. It's a long story but the clinching didn't work.

At this point should I just hang the doors as they are? After all they are flat, plumb, and square. I put two coats of Waterlux on them and they have been sitting for a couple of weeks, they seem pretty stable.

Or....will unheated winters cause these doors to go haywire even if they are well finished? If they need a crossbrace do I glue and screw it? I can't see how to add sliding joinery (like breadboard ends) without completely changing the design of the doors.

Anyone else out there dumb enough to build a true plank door, if so I'd love to hear what worked (or didn't)?

2017-04-18 16.54.20.jpg

TIA