Thread: Restoring old grinder

Restoring old grinder

I got an old TK grinder with no safety accessories or attachments. Photo below. Not pretty but it runs. Was hoping to get it set up to learn how to hollow grind chisels. 3450 rpm and says it is for a 6" wheel but looks like an 8" would fit. 1/2 inch arbor.
    Any suggestions on basic stuff to get? Maybe some kind of norton wheel and a tool rest. Do I need the plastic things that cover part of the wheel? Would prefer to get stuff that I could use on a new grinder if I ever buy one.

[sorry about the thumbnail photos if they show up. Kept trying to insert photo that wasn't upside down]

IMG_0205.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Todd Zucker; 04-22-2017 at 8:48 AM. Reason: Added photos by mistake

Make sure to use blotters between the wheel and flanges on both sides. You can make your own blotters from a ceral boxes. You will need one of those star wheel dressers. 1/2 shaft I would not use a 8" wheel. The arbor thread one side is right hand the other side is left hand. Car lug nuts are good replacement. Chrysler used LH lug nuts for decades on one side of the car.
    Ring a new or used wheel before installing. Stand to the side when turning it on every time. I have bought wheels from ebay. Buy good brands not made in China. I bought a new wheel and had to drill out the hole 1/8" bigger. worked fine with carbide masonary bit, flooded with hose on lawn. Hard to find 7/8 arbor wheels for a good price.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-22-2017 at 1:24 PM.

There is no way I would run a 8" grind rock at 3450 rpm. Too much centrifugal force if something unusual happens.

Yeah, if it's a 6", run 6" wheels. It's just a relatively inexpensive Asian import utility grinder; I used a virtually identical one for about 25 years and one new set of bearings before it quit for good. 3450 will burn up cutting tools in a hurry if you aren't VERY careful. A good white wheel will help, but a 1750 RPM grinder will work better. Once you get set up with tool rests, good wheels, etc, a new Jet or Grizzly might be a better deal for sharpening chisels and plane irons. This grinder is better for general utility work with a coarse wheel on one side and a wire wheel on the other.

Thank y'all. Very helpful info.