Thread: International "Franken-drill"

International "Franken-drill"

A guy I work with bought this drill at a local flea market here in the Netherlands for a couple euro for me. I thought it was interesting because the small gear is enclosed, which I had never seen. The drill operated pretty good. The main gear is held on only by the tab, which intrigued me how it could operate so well.

I couldn't make out any makers marks until I cleaned up the chuck. I assumed it was German and it was. Due to the condition of the chuck I could only make out some random letters where the name probably was. I did make out "Qualitat Garantiert"; German for Quality Guaranteed. The main handle had been repaired (not well) and the crank handle was probably not original. I decided to mix some Millers Falls parts with it. I took the main handle off of an old MF No 1 and the crank is from a MF No 303. I ground off the MF logo and No 303 to make it smooth. I also made a brass ferrule for the main handle. The crank screw was brass, but oversized, so I ground it down flush with the crank handle and polished it along with the tab/screw that holds the main gear. In the end it runs really smooth and makes for a good story.

IMG_6174.jpgIMG_6175.jpgIMG_6176.jpgIMG_6182.jpgIMG_6652.jpgIMG_6656.jpgIMG_6653.jpgIMG_6654.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nice job, one of my Millers Falls breast drills has a tab that holds the main gear shaft in place. It is made so the it can be removed and placed in a different guide to change the gear ratio.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)