Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Gloat -- The General w/ Slider

General Slider

Aron,

That's it. The new fence is somewhat different. But in your photo, notice the position of the floor mat. That's my rationale for a slider. You position yourself about 3 feet to the left of the blade for most cuts. It's a safe place.

GC

Gary, where is Eagle Tools located in Glendale? I've lived and worked in the general area for almost 15 years, and I wasn't aware of their existence. (Granted, I didn't become interested in real woodworking tools until less than a year ago, and I probably can't afford what they're selling, but it'd be fun to drop by the showroom and drool for a while.)

Thanks -

- Vaughn

Oh me likey I think that would look really cool attached to my SawStop... I guess that would make it the safest saw in the work
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Gary

Congrats on the purchase - you obviously did your homework and I am sure you will get great pleasure from this machine. You safety rationale for the sliding table is completely correct.

Now - peanut butter sandwiches - everybody who knows anything knows that you have to start with crunchy peanut butter - smooth is no use to man nor beast. You then need some Marmite. I suspect that you ex-colonials don't have real Marmite so you may have to make do with a somewhat inferior "yeast extract" product. However this should be good enough. Mix the peanut butter - I did say it has to be crunchy didn't I? - with the Marmite until they are uniform in colour. Then spread thickly onto freshly toasted white bread. Real man's food!

P.S Under no circumstances, ever, mix peanut butter with "jelly" (more properly called Jam I believe) unless, of course, you are less than 11 years of age.

Ian!

We in the states often say peanut butter and jelly together. Jelly here is gelled fruit juice and sugar. Jam is crushed fruit and suger gelled. Jelly has no seeds or chunks. (Gosh darn, I never wanted to know that, but I had to help my mommy can as a little boy)

Now, peanut butter, hmmm...don't get me started. But I would have to agree with you that sliders and table saws are like the proverbial americacn saying of "going together 'like peanut butter and jelly'".

I am kind of wondering based on Michaels comment about putting this slider on his saw-stop, if this outrigger slider would even fit other company's saws?

d
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a might fine saw. Thanks for sharing the story....but I don't see it! Gloats of this magnitude definitely require a picture or two....according to the invisible rules anyway.

Have fun and be safe! (I wouldn't mind a pic if you get a chance )
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

General Slider

I'll answer a few of your questions.
    Eagle Tool is located on Treadwell Street off of San Fernando Road, just north of the Glendale Freeway. Their phone is 323 999-2909.

Jesse, the owner, can tell you if this slider will attach to saws other than the General. Including the SawStop.

A guy in my woodworking club bought a Robland sliding table and attached it to his 12" Inca. Eagle tool sold him the Robland. It doesn't use either the outrigger or the Excalibur-style legs, so the capacity would seem limited.

By the way, people in my woodworking club tell me that Sam Maloof will only buy equipment from Eagle in Glendale. That could be nothing more than rumor, but Eagle enjoys high repute here in Southern California.

Gary C.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis
    I spoke with two people at General on Tuesday and they admitted that they make good machines, but bad brochures.
    Boy is that an understatement.

Let me describe the slider. The left table extension is first removed, and the sliding table ball bearing track bolted on in its place. This seam puts the right edge of the sliding table 10" to the left of the blade. That is the downside. The European sliders come right up to the blade. But then, they usually don't permit Dado blades.
    Gary,

Congrats on the new saw. It'll really count as a gloat when you canpost pics of it in your workshop.

FYI, the 'major' players from Europe do support dado cutters, both Felder and MiniMax.

Rob

Ian, we outlawed Marmite in the colonies, only mad dogs and Englishmen would eat that stuff.

...Aware that they appear a bit obsolete,
    Now there is an understement!

...they hired a professional writer, editor and photographer to produce new literature, including a vastly improved website.
    Thats good news, but it will be even better news if they do something about their abysmal manuals.

By the way, this is comming from smeone who likes his General-650 table saw (but that is no thanks at all to the manual).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    ... I suspect that you ex-colonials don't have real Marmite
    When we lived in the Seattle area there was a store near our house that sold real Marmite.

Congrats on the new saw and a really nice one!!

Corey

Congratulations on your new saw. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and what the hell, "you can't take it with you...". I'm still plugging along with a 25 year old Delta contractors saw, and thinking about the possibilities.

When I was thirteen years old, a friend introduced me to peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. Sounds weird, I know, but they were good. Try one if you get desperate for variety.

Congrats on the saw and slider, I'm sure will enjoy them. That General is a fantastic saw. Let us know how you like the slider.

I am a peanut butter addict. There, I've said it.

The finest Pnut butter is the stuff you grind yourself. See if you can find a natural food store that has a machine and bulk Pnuts, that lets you make it right there. You will never go back to Skippy.

The best sandwich is pnut butter and fresh sliced mango. Since you don't have a SawStop, feel free to slice the mango on the table saw. I might also suggest rice pecan bread by "Food For Life", also available at nat food stores. Could put you over your budget, but maybe on Sundays you can splurge. Don't forget to have a nice bowl of thin gruel for breakfast! Gee, kind of reminds me of my musician days.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome