Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
Safety features mandated on automobiles by the federal government aren't lining the pocket of only one company and to my knowledge no auto manufacturer builds their air bag systems. They are designed and manufactured by a third party. Air bags were developed in the 50's but didn't begin to be used on autos until much later. In the 70's Ford and GM both dabbled in the market with some experimental offerings. TRW began manufacturing the gas fired air bag in 1994. They became mandatory on all new vehicles in 1998. I agree with Art that there are a lot of woodworkers that have safely used table saws for their whole lives. I am not going to suggest that some people shouldn't run power tools. Accidents do happen. However nearly all can be anticipated with a little forethought. Respect what hand or power tools can do because they can both injure us so very easily. IF you are fatigued or suffering from some other impairment GET out of the shop. I have no dog in the fight but resent Gass's attempt to force his system on everyone. Regardless of how this turns out within 5 years we will have other options. You can be sure of that. I am very patient.
Hmm all this talk of air bags-- we could just put one in the table in front of the bag-- then if you touch the blade-- boom and it pushes you away!
😀