Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With Plywood???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's Up With Plywood???

I just made a trip to my local HD for some 3/4", one side sanded, plywood. Am I missing something or has the quality of plywood gone way, way downhill? I could probably get better stuff at a lumberyard, but it's not as convenient and it costs more $ and $ is a big factor.
    I don't use a lot of plywood, so I was pretty disappointed at what I saw. I still have some scraps from what I purchased a few years back and man, there's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Am I missing something or has the quality of plywood gone way, way downhill?
    My observation is you are not missing anything except the quality. All the plywood I've looked at in the big box stores in the last six months has been horrible. I did find better quality at the lumber yard. The last time I needed plywood I sprung for baltic birch which is excellent, at least for now.

JKJ

My last plywood buy was also at a big box store. It will be my last. I bought a sheet of 3/4 baltic burch cabinet grade and went home. Sawed three pieces length ways 8 feet long. When I grabbed the center section to move it, it flexed so bad I could not hold it upright. It had a three foot void clear through it. All the way through the center piece and partially through the outside panels. Took it back and the women in charge did not want to refund my money at first because I had cut it. She then told me to just go get another off the same stack I had gotten that one from. Not a chance. After talking to the manager, I got my refund. Found out the stuff came from China. Poor quality.

HD in our market sells Columbia Forest Products, C-3 grade. By picking thru stack, usually I can find enough to do what I need. With the housing market red hot, plywood producers can't make it fast enough to keep up with demand. I've never seen any baltic birch at either BORG.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    HD in our market sells Columbia Forest Products, C-3 grade. By picking thru stack, usually I can find enough to do what I need. With the housing market red hot, plywood producers can't make it fast enough to keep up with demand. I've never seen any baltic birch at either BORG.
    My Local Home Depot in Queens sells Columbia Forest as well, just made 2 bookshelves entirely out of The Burch Plywood, not to be confused with Baltic Burch Plywood. I had to spend quite a while sifting trough the pile to find 3 decent sheets, but I did find them eventually and the quality was quite good for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    My last plywood buy was also at a big box store. It will be my last. I bought a sheet of 3/4 baltic burch cabinet grade and went home. Sawed three pieces length ways 8 feet long. ... Found out the stuff came from China. Poor quality.
    Yikes. It sounds like they sold you "birch plywood" (4'x8' sheets) instead of "baltic birch" (5'x5' sheets). When looking for real baltic birch locally the big box stores said sure, they had it but I found out what they really had was birch faced plywood and it didn't look good. They didn't know the difference.

I finally found the real stuff at a company that catered to cabinet makers. What I got was perfect, no voids. Wasn't cheap.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I finally found the real stuff at a company that catered to cabinet makers. What I got was perfect, no voids. Wasn't cheap.

JKJ
    And it shouldn't be. It is a joy to work with.

Yikes. It sounds like they sold you "birch plywood" (4'x8' sheets) instead of "baltic birch" (5'x5' sheets). When looking for real baltic birch locally the big box stores said sure, they had it but I found out what they really had was birch faced plywood and it didn't look good. They didn't know the difference.

JKJ
    FWIW- Baltic Birch is available in both 5'x 5' and 4'x8' sheets. The difference, I've been told, is the glue's water resistance, but I'm no authority.

In my experience, one is asking for a lot of headaches trying to build anything nice with material from one of the BORG type stores. Of course it can be done but with many more issues. IMHO- BB is well worth the extra $.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    FWIW- Baltic Birch is available in both 5'x 5' and 4'x8' sheets. The difference, I've been told, is the glue's water resistance, but I'm no authority.
    That's good to know. Do you know where to find it? I found only one dealer in the Knoxville area that carried baltic birch and they only had the 5'x5' sheets.

JKJ

That's good to know. Do you know where to find it? I found only one dealer in the Knoxville area that carried baltic birch and they only had the 5'x5' sheets.

JKJ
    Probably won't help you John but in Seattle, both Compton Lumber and Crosscut Hardwoods carry the 4'x8' sheets.

As a newbie that has only ever used the big box stuff, how much do you normally pay for the good stuff? I'm going to look around me (middle TN area) but I don't know what pricing to look for. I've only even seen the stuff at a Woodcraft but haven't bought any yet as I haven't needed it.

Just don't cheap out and buy the cheap versions of the birch ply at Crosscut. Horrible stuff that delaminated way worse than anything I've bought at Home Depot. I believe it was the $35 or $40/sheet stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Probably won't help you John but in Seattle, both Compton Lumber and Crosscut Hardwoods carry the 4'x8' sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Martel View Post
    Just don't cheap out and buy the cheap versions of the birch ply at Crosscut. Horrible stuff that delaminated way worse than anything I've bought at Home Depot. I believe it was the $35 or $40/sheet stuff.
    Jeff,
    Not a chance. I only use BB. BTW - the 4'x8' sheets are superior to the 5'x5' in quality.
    regards - Bill

I have used the Aruaco plywood from Menards and very good quality. Last week, I drove up to Chicago to buy Baltic Birch from Owl Hardwood and the quality was excellent. I think there is good plywood available but you have to find it and pay for it.

I do not buy from HD because of the way they store it on racks and the waves in it.

Having read this thread, I believe that some people may not know the difference between real Baltic Birch plywood imported from Russia or other Baltic countries and the cheaper domestic Birch veneer plywood. I have bought good domestic Birch plywood but there is no comparison between it and the premium imported material.