Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Block Plane Recommendation

To the OP, it partially depends on where you are located.

If you're lucky enough to be in a place with a lot of vintage planes like Steven, please try picking one up in your hand and going for the plane that speaks to you. Buy it. Fettle it. Get a better blade (PMV11, or Hock). Love it.

Hand tools are funny things. I used to obsess over getting the "best" of things for my very limited money. However, I've found myself focusing on satisfaction and enjoyment over "value."

Maybe I'm finally growing up.

Oh yeah Ed,

I forgot to answer your question.

My first good block plane was a factory second Lee Valley Apron plane.
    Impeccable performance. great steel. Very "functional" esthetics. Excellent value.

My favorite block plane is a Lie Nielson 103 (recommended by Derek).
    Fit and finish are several notches below the LV factory second.
    Steel is A2 instead of PMV11 (sorta gummier feeling on the stones).
    However, it feels really nice in hand...and reminds me of all the late nights that I worked the first (unpaid) year of my dental practice.

Hand planes are pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Either an old Stanley or a new Veritas Low Angle or Lie-Nielson variant. Don't bother with the new Stanleys but maybe a Wood River is suitable but I really don't know. I suppose it depends on your budget but the Veritas is good value for the money as you can get accessories like front knob and rear tote to turn it into a #3 size plane and then there's also the 45 degree chamfer guide which can be useful. Another nudge for the Veritas is the range of blades including a toothed version for difficult grain.
    What about the new Stanley Sweetheart range? And here I am talking about the "Stanley 12-136 No. 4"? (Like here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

I just heard good things about them...

cheers
    aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey Kloppers View Post
    What about the new Stanley Sweetheart range? And here I am talking about the "Stanley 12-136 No. 4"? (Like here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Good question Aubrey. I think most woodworkers (not carpenters) are suspicious of Stanley and would rather spend a little bit more on a second hand Veritas #4 or buy a good old one from Patrick Leach or Joshua Clark (given they don't want to refurbish a rusty blob themselves).

The reviews are favourable though but we don't get the sweetheart range here and the 'Handyman' range is quite shocking to say the least.

Maybe I'm wrong as that Sweetheart looks great but who knows if the sole is flat and the iron is any good?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Good question Aubrey. I think most woodworkers (not carpenters) are suspicious of Stanley and would rather spend a little bit more on a second hand Veritas #4 or buy a good old one from Patrick Leach or Joshua Clark (given they don't want to refurbish a rusty blob themselves).

The reviews are favourable though but we don't get the sweetheart range here and the 'Handyman' range is quite shocking to say the least.

Maybe I'm wrong as that Sweetheart looks great but who knows if the sole is flat and the iron is any good?
    Hi Hilton (and others)
    I just read through the Amazon ratings and it seems I am wrong! The tool seems shoddy made and not worth the effort. I am now looking at the Veritas range, but the only stockist I can find in Cape Town is "Hardware Center". The price (once payed for) about R5000 (+/- $500, depending on what rubbish our president Jacob Zuma decides to cause and how much money he tries to steal) seems a bit much if you look at the $219 LV is asking...

cheers
    aubrey

Completely off topic now but take a look a look Patrick Leach's recent list.

Look at ST6, ST7, ST25, ST26 and ST27.

Also contact Joshua Clark here and ask him to look out for a good #4 for you. Send it via Postbox-Couriers and you'll have it soon.

I've bought from both of them and regularly use PBC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey Kloppers View Post

cheers
    aubrey
    Did I miss something?

The #4 isn't a block plane to the best of my knowledge or did the topic change?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Best available block plane: Veritas DX60 with PM-V11 blade
    Best value block plane: LN #102
    Best affordable block plane: vintage Stanley #60 1/2

Regards from Perth

Derek

I would have to agree with this. It was worth spending on these hand planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Did I miss something?

The #4 isn't a block plane to the best of my knowledge or did the topic change?

jtk

We were laid on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I've had a couple three 60 1/2 block planes. All were fine users. I have a LN version of the 60 1/2 now. It's exceptional. Another good choice is a #65 if you can find one . It's a little bigger than a 60 1/2 and can double as a really small smoother.
    I have a couple 65s. I like them a lot. Don't love 'em. Feel big, and I don't have small hands either. Might humble the collection and trade 'em out for some 60s. I absolutely adore my handy li'l Sargent 206 apron plane.

One of my favorite tools period, is the LN 102. very capable. Would also like the 103 if I could still find one.

Blog Entries
    The LN 102 is indeed a nice tool.

My Veritas Apron Plane is a nice tool also.

Another vote for the LV low angle block plane. I had a tough time choosing between it and the LN, but some of the added features (like side set screws) of the LV swayed me.

A few years back, I bought a MINTY Millers Falls ( in original box) No. 1455 low angle block plane...$16 plus shipping. used it again last week. Had a very sticky drawer on a dresser I built. Once I got the drawer pried open, I used the 1455 to plane away the sticky parts. Long thin curls were raised with ease. I was giving the 60-1/2 and the Millers Falls 56B a little break.

Have HAD the Stanley No. 103 come through the shop......was not impressed. I also have several Stanley No.9-1/2s and a 9-1/4.....one of the 9-1/2s is a type 2. A little bigger than the 60-1/2 or the 56B....

Don't really need or want an "apron" plane.....why? When the plane til is about..2 steps away. Happen to like my vintage planes, and can tune them to match about anything "New & Improved" being sold. I can set mine once, and not have to fiddle with the settings again.

Started out a LONG time ago with just a blue Stanley No. 110, with a chrome cap iron....and even used it the level glue joints in old white oak....still have the Oak tables I built with it. The wood wasn't that plain, straight grained, quarter-sawn, easy to work with stuff.....this was a bit knotty, flat sawn stuff. Had the 110 set well enough, never had tear out.

The pictures of my plane til show the current herd, and I keep having to trim that herd down a couple times a year. Every sale and antique shop around here has a bunch of block planes. Almost trip over them. I will RARELY ever spent more than $6 for any block plane. I traded for the 60-1/2.....the 56B was about.....$15 COUNTING shipping. Other than colour, the 60-1/2 and the 56B are the same plane...one by Stanley, one by Millers Falls. Great users.

Maybe a heads up to those that don't want to pay all that much for a simple, little plane...

Blog Entries
    Maybe a heads up to those that don't want to pay all that much for a simple, little plane...
    Have to agree with you Steven. Many folks are under the impression that every deal one can get on the used market is going to rob them of money, time and ability to continue woodworking. One of my Stanley #60 series planes was bought in the 1980s or 90s at a hardware store. It is actually a pretty good plane. Another is from the years when someone at Stanley decided cordovan was the color tool buyers would have to have. It is another very good plane. Both of them were good from the start, with a honing of the blade getting them right to work.

One of mine did turn out to be a bit less than the others. A bit of work on the sole turned it into a useable plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)