Thread: Can you help me with a plane ID?

Can you help me with a plane ID?

I bought a handplane, looks like a Stanley #4 or something similar, but it may actually be something cobbled together from various parts. Everything is solid and fits well, and it's in really good shape. And I did not pay very much.
    But I would like to know a bit more about it.
    I made a video so you can see the plane, see it taken apart, etc., and would be very appreciative if you could give it a look and see if you can help me.
    Much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Mike and a belated welcome to the Creek.

Your plane does look to be a Stanley from the "what the heck it looks like a tool" period of Stanley tool production. Some folks have gotten them to do good work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Haha! Thanks. I assure you I have made far worse work for me, so this should be a snap(famous last words). For $10, even if it was cobbled together from a couple different planes, everything fits well, so I thought it was a "no brainer".

IF you would look right where the frog seats onto the base...there may be "C557" or C558 stamped there?

Last of the Blue Stanleys, before they went back to Black again. Shares a lot with the Handyman line, the ribs were also on a made in England type. Post 1962...closer to 1970s...

Have had one or two come through the shop...Type 21.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    IF you would look right where the frog seats onto the base...there may be "C557" or C558 stamped there?

Last of the Blue Stanleys, before they went back to Black again. Shares a lot with the Handyman line, the ribs were also on a made in England type. Post 1962...closer to 1970s...

Have had one or two come through the shop...Type 21.
    Yep, I remember seeing that when I had it apart. Can not remember if it was 557 or 558, but it was there, along with an A10 stamp, I believe.
    Thanks.
    I was correct that someone had set this plane up very well before I got hold of it. Back of the blade was dead flat; took about 10 passes on a 1k diamond plate to bring it back to shiny the full width of the back. Blade had a couple of small chips in it, or it would have honed up really fast as well, but I took the time to get them out.
    Cuts a very nice shaving. The feel in the hand is much more primitive than my #5C, but it is comfortable, handle doesn't dig in anywhere.
    I'm satisfied it will do pretty much anything I need a #4 for.
    Thanks again, fellas.