Thread: Sea Shells

Sea Shells

I could add lasering sea shells by the seaside.... but we are not going that way.

Yes I have another Co2 laser machine ordered and since we spent part of the winter in Florida and brought back some shells we find on the beach I was wondering. I know my fiber will not touch them, but can a Co2 machine either engrave or cut??
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I could add lasering sea shells by the seaside.... but we are not going that way.

Yes I have another Co2 laser machine ordered and since we spent part of the winter in Florida and brought back some shells we find on the beach I was wondering. I know my fiber will not touch them, but can a Co2 machine either engrave or cut??
    Admittedly I have no idea. I'm curious to see what others say though; and hopefully to eventually see how you are able to make this work.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Blog Entries
    Not easily. Think of glass and ceramics combined. My wife has thousands we've picked up over the years and i tried to put some holes in a few. Limited sucess, was able to go thru a few, but broke several. You might have better luck with just engraving.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Hi Bill
    Yes the CO2 laser will engrave on shells - I do a lot of it on the local pearl oyster shells - but I can't begin to cut them through even with multiple passes on a 100 watt machine. These laser out to white so the darker shells have better contrast/legibility. Sorry for poor pics but they are all I have on this computer.
    DSCF0574.JPGP5100127.JPGP5100124.JPG
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Thanks Bill it looks like next time we should find the darker shells!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Bill,

If you have been able to get a deep enough engraving and are using light shells you might try something like Rub n Buff to infill the engraving. It is easy to apply and might help salvage what you have done already.

You might also check with John Noell on this forum. Like Bill Corruthers he lives in the South Pacific (Fiji) and uses a lot of Mother of Pearl, and I presume works with shells in general as well and might have some other ideas that can help you.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.