Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HuanYang VFD parameters. Help!

Have you tried running the motor with no load - belt disconnected?

Are you positive it is a good motor?

Have you verified input voltage? Especially during startup? (Looking for voltage drop causing high current draw)

Edit - just read your post above. With no current draw something is reall wrong. Normal industrial drives can be test run with no motor attached to verify that the settings allow proper start sequence. It should show frequency ramp up.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 05-03-2017 at 6:26 PM.

Thanks for your input Peter. Yes, no belts on the motor pulley. Good motor? I don't know; it's brand new and the motor shop ran it before we installed it. Yes, we have verified input voltage. From what others have said, these VFD's cannot be test run; they need to see the motor before power is transmitted to it.

John

Thanks for your input CPeter. I hope you are wrong about the need for the VFD to have 2X capacity with single phase input. The unit is rated 4 KW and 18 amps at 230V on the 3 phase output side. The motor requires 12.2 FLA, so I would think the VFD is large enough as long as the start up amps are kept under control, and the single phase supply has sufficient amps available. We have it on a 220V, 30 amp service, which used to run a 5 HP single phase motor.

John

At this stage John ..
    I don't believe sending it back would be the easiest to do with these devices.
    Do you think it might have run at the very start, before something went wrong?
    I don't believe what I'm suggesting would be against the manufactures advice, as I've seen folks change this cable with a longer one,
    I would try the parameter reset along with this "other" parameter reset ...pulling out the keypad ribbon cable from the socket and plugging it in again.
    You say what I'm referring to it is not a keypad ...call it what you want..its the device with the buttons.
    This will do a reset on the 2.2kw ...it sounds like I'm talking rubbish, but it worked for me.
    Just two screws to remove the front panel ...this can be done while the VFD is mounted.
    You have got nothing to loose, you don't have to mention if you tried it or not.
    Good luck
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 05-03-2017 at 7:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks for your input CPeter. I hope you are wrong about the need for the VFD to have 2X capacity with single phase input. The unit is rated 4 KW and 18 amps at 230V on the 3 phase output side. The motor requires 12.2 FLA, so I would think the VFD is large enough as long as the start up amps are kept under control, and the single phase supply has sufficient amps available. We have it on a 220V, 30 amp service, which used to run a 5 HP single phase motor.

John
    From my research, 2x the horsepower is only needed when the VFD is a 3 phase input only and it needs to be derated.

Thanks Patrick. The VFD did not run at the very start. I tried several times before it did start bringing the motor up to speed, but then tripped out at around 2000 rpm. I repeated that after a change or two. Since then, nothing. Before I pull the front of the unit off and disconnect the cable as you suggest, do you know anything about PD072 "High Analog Frequency"? Someone else said to make sure it's set to 60 hz. The default is 50 hz, so I'm sure that's what mine is at now. Pulling the front off requires breaking a factory seal, so I'm sure it can't be returned if I do that.

John

Is the drive built specifically to operate with single phase supply? If it is designed to be normally fed 3 phase power the following applies. How many power terminals does it have on the input side?

If the drive is rated to match the motor with normal 3 phase in and out it will NOT work. The input side must draw enough amperage to generate power to create the missing phase to the output but having single phase input means the drive MUST be oversized to function. Using Allen Bradley drives we were required to double the horse power rating and with Toshiba drives we needed a minimum 50% overrating as per the manufacturer. We used 30HP drives for 15HP motors when run on single phase.

What is the input amperage rating? This is a critical stat if the drive is designed as a 3 phase input. It needs to be at least 50% higher than the drive output load meaning the motor amperage - not the drive output rating.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 05-03-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Hi John
    All the factory settings with a regular parameter reset have set both my 2.2KW VFD's to 50HZ.
    I don't know much atall about this stuff by the way!
    I would think this might be written down elsewhere if PD72 is important ...
    If someone said change it to 60HZ I would guess it could do no harm...it might be a good idea to look that guy up who said so though...
    Most folks on these youtube vid's seem to be from the USA and (seem to me "an uneducated layman") knowledgeable enough to know if this
    would make a difference.
    Here is a link and title to the forum page where I learned about this alternative parameter reset ...granted its not the same error code as you
    but it might help.
    Problem Huanyang inverter is hang on startup
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynomo...g-startup.html

On my VFD's the tamper seal is on the second main panel, not the front one I'm talking about ...I don't know if this reset will work on your VFD ...
    but if I remember correctly, I think someone said these things share parts ...possibly in the missing video below.
    I think there was a video your model on youtube by AvE titled something like teardown and repair of ac inverter ...it seems to be gone now though.
    There is another forum thread titled huanyang inverter all available error codes, maybe this might shed some light.
    Since you said it ran for a very very brief time....I'd still have hope, if ya haven't seen the shmoke
    Tom

Hi John
    All the factory settings with a regular parameter reset have set both my 2.2KW VFD's to 50HZ.
    I don't know much atall about this stuff by the way!
    I would think this might be written down elsewhere if PD72 is important ...
    If someone said change it to 60HZ I would guess it could do no harm...it might be a good idea to look that guy up who said so though...
    Most folks on these youtube vid's seem to be from the USA and (seem to me "an uneducated layman") knowledgeable enough to know if this
    would make a difference.
    Here is a link and title to the forum page where I learned about this alternative parameter reset ...granted its not the same error code as you
    but it might help.
    Problem Huanyang inverter is hang on startup
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynomo...g-startup.html

On my VFD's the tamper seal is on the second main panel, not the front one I'm talking about ...I don't know if this reset will work on your VFD ...
    but if I remember correctly, I think someone said these things share parts ...possibly in the missing video below.
    I think there was a video your model on youtube by AvE titled something like teardown and repair of ac inverter ...it seems to be gone now though.
    There is another forum thread titled huanyang inverter all available error codes, maybe this might shed some light.
    Since you said it ran for a very very brief time....I'd still have hope, if ya haven't seen the shmoke
    Tom

Get a refund. You're spending so much time (and frustration), it's not worth it.

If I were you I'd call Jack Forsberg since your at 5hp (3 and below I'd suggest a TECO FM50). His contact info is in the thread below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...3phase-Jointer

John, its tough to help troubleshoot from 1500 miles away - - but its starting to sound like Matt is right.

Seems like mean time between failure on electronics is ~15 years anymore. But that means a device will either fail in 30 years, or fail in 30 seconds. This VFD may be the 30sec proof?

This VFD is designed for either 1 phase or 3 phase input. I have it wired to a 220V, 1 phase, 30 amp line, using 2 of the 3 input terminals as described in the manual. You use all 3 terminals if running 3 phase input. I can find nothing in the specs that list the input amp requirements, only the output of 18 amps, 3 phase.

John

Infor buried on Owwm.org

....The documentation on these drives suck! and B) that the drives are set up by default for 50Hz power. I've read this issue a BUNCH! Make sure the drive is either set for 60Hz and/or the parameter for motor rpm is adjusted accordingly. It appears many people have still had to set the drive parameter for rpm, regardless of any other setting, to 2850 for a 3450 motor to get the motor to run at 3450. I don't know if this has any effect on your motor loading or amp draw but it's just a heads up!

Hi Tom,

Well, we set PD072 to 60 hz, no change, didn't think it would, it looks to be related to some other control approach. We also set PD008 (max. voltage) to 230V to match PD141 (motor voltage). Nothing.

I got a message from the Ebay seller of the VFD asking for a video of the problem. Really? I sent them a picture. Haven't heard anything back yet.

We are looking at alternatives, including going to a static phase converter. Electronics are wonderful - when they work, but tried and true is better. Of course, a single phase motor would be better than the static phase converter, but we don't have that option at this point.

John

Before you rule out VFD's, at least call Jack. Good luck with the return. Update us.