Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term glass storage

Long term glass storage

A friend gave us two champagne flutes marked with the date 2000 to use to celebrate the millennium. I would like to pass those on to some descendant to use in 2100. They are delicate and if not stored correctly, will probably be broken before the time arrives. I am thinking of making a box to hold them. I would make custom racks inside the box to hold the flutes. Any suggestions of what to use to line the racks that will provide cushioning lasting the 83 years? Or perhaps a better plan?

DonJer flocking - in your choice of color.

I had some very delicate items that were being shipped from Germany back to the US when I returned from being stationed there. Movers always break my stuff so I wanted to make the things mover-proof.

The way I went about it was to buy some polyester fill (used for stuffed animals, pillows, whatever..). I found a box a few inches larger than the item in all dimensions and filled it with the polyester and my object right in the middle.

I then double-boxed everything using all types of cushioning between the boxes (foam peanuts, bubble wrap, more polyester).

Not one thing was broken. So that's now my go-to method of making sure things don't break in transport. Should be good for storage as well.

I think having something hard and immovable holding the object is asking for it to be broken honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    DonJer flocking - in your choice of color.
    Hi James. I agree that the DonJer is pretty - I use it regularly too - but "as is" it doesn't really add much padding? Do you know a way to improve on that?

John, I think I'd do it in a way that your decendents can open the package and see the flutes, then put it back together. That way they buy into keeping them safe, like you intend. There was a thread here a couple months ago about french fitting that included alternate ideas too. One was a method to make a custom-fitted case using expanding foam. IIRC, they wrapped the object, pressed it into the foam until it was half embedded, then let it dry. (I cant recall when/how they took it out of the mold. That's obviously crucial for you glassware.) Then they did the same for the top half. In the end, they had 2 half molds that perfectly fit the object. It seemed effective and clever to me. You might search for it here under french fitting.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-02-2017 at 6:42 AM.

If I was looking to store something fragile for the next 83 years I would only use natural fiber products. I think something like Excelsior would be my first choice; https://americanexcelsior.com/wood-fibers/ Anything synthetic like foam or plastic bubbles is not likely to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    If I was looking to store something fragile for the next 83 years I would only use natural fiber products. I think something like Excelsior would be my first choice; https://americanexcelsior.com/wood-fibers/ Anything synthetic like foam or plastic bubbles is not likely to survive.
    Thanks John. That's a useful product for me too.
    Fred

How about socks?

... wood shavings from the boards used to make the box would be in line with the "spirit" of this project. Given that sawdust and shavings were used to insulate walls in older houses and that they passed the test of time, this should work.

Blog Entries
    I would use spray foam and make a custom velvet lined pocket to fit around the flute with a foam fit cover. This will fully support the glass and make it less prone to breakage. I've had thermopane glass units shipped to me that way with zero breakage.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will be using a combination of most of these. The suggestion to make the box so that it could be opened changed my mind; I was going to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would use spray foam and make a custom velvet lined pocket to fit around the flute with a foam fit cover. This will fully support the glass and make it less prone to breakage. I've had thermopane glass units shipped to me that way with zero breakage.

While I think that foam would provide great support, I would avoid using it for something that you want to last for the next 83 years. Most old things I've seen with foam in them was a mess when the foam starts breaking down.

The reality is that there's a very high probability that some descendant is going to toss the glasses into the dumpster long before 2100 is within 50 years of reach. Keeping champagne flutes for the next 83 years does not fall within the "instant gratification" needs of the newer generations.

I would make a box within a box. Inner box with cotton padding, spring supported inside outer box.
    Bill

Unless they're stored in a bank vault, they're going to get moved many times over the course of 83 years and at some time the container will get kicked, slammed, dropped, thrown out, etc. Whomever inherits them from you may not share your sentiment and they might get opened and used.

They're drinking glasses not the crown jewels. Put them in a display case and break them out (not literally) every New Years and make a toast to posterity before putting them away. Do this every year until you're no longer able to lift them, then pass them on to someone committed to carrying on the tradition. This will generate many stories over the years, making them far more special vs just hiding them in a time capsule. Yeah they might get broken, but they're just glasses. But that's just me.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Make sure that you have clear directions on OUTSIDE of box as to safe way to open the "strong box". Curiosity sometimes over powers caution.

might try Kaizen foam by FastCap.