Thread: Wet lumber for legs....or not.

Wet lumber for legs....or not.

So, thanks to the generosity of a saw mill owning friend, I took possession of two slabs of white oak5" thick and quarter sawn billets approx 6"" square,and yes my intention is to build a Roubo style bench.
    I know that common wisdom says to go right ahead and work up the top even though the two slabs are only a year standing,and so far no troubles with jointing or glue-up,other than the usual head aches with oak to say nothing of the weight.I m turning my attention to the legs but in the back of my mind there's a warning flag going up regarding shrink. Didn't someone post a while ago about shrink in bench legs as a result of using wet lumber?should I carry on or scrap this lumber in favor of something I know is dry and stable.

Blog Entries
    You might be thinking of this post. Timbers for workbench
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I made 4 legs for my bench from 'air dried' white oak. They ended up 4x6". I stood them on end in my workshop that I keep at 61F. They all had some knots but the leg with the largest knot decided it wanted to be a banana. Luckily I had some extra to replace it. For a Roubo bench you need to be sure about the leg before you cut it's mortise! Shrinkage would be a disaster.
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 05-06-2017 at 8:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    I would want them dry, same with the benchtop. I think you're asking for trouble using wet wood. The top of a roubo is sort of locked in, since there is a stretcher near the floor. This ok when using dry timber since you're maybe going to see 1/4" ~ or less of movement. This is also the reason why one uses the radial edge as the face for a roubo bench.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have never made a workbench with wet lumber, but there is a timber framing technique that might be applicable. In the case of lumber where shrinkage and cracks are anticipated, a saw kerf cut to the center of the timber, centered on one side, and perpendicular to the rings will relieve drying stresses and reduce cracking, splitting and warping. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for legs. You need to plan your joints carefully.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    This is also the reason why one uses the radial edge as the face for a roubo bench.
    To be clear, does this mean the outside of the tree should be on top?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    To be clear, does this mean the outside of the tree should be on top?

jtk
    Jim, not so much. I am always looking to put the inside of the tree to the outside of furniture, but I don't really concern myself so much with it when planning a radial edge.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ryle View Post
    So, thanks to the generosity of a saw mill owning friend, I took possession of two slabs of white oak5" thick and quarter sawn billets approx 6"" square,and yes my intention is to build a Roubo style bench.
    I know that common wisdom says to go right ahead and work up the top even though the two slabs are only a year standing,and so far no troubles with jointing or glue-up,other than the usual head aches with oak to say nothing of the weight.I m turning my attention to the legs but in the back of my mind there's a warning flag going up regarding shrink. Didn't someone post a while ago about shrink in bench legs as a result of using wet lumber?should I carry on or scrap this lumber in favor of something I know is dry and stable.
    Soooo....the general consensus so far is not a good idea,hmm Schwarz et al,nwould appear to give the impression of the opposite, lots of differing opinions, I should say that my shop is unheated and this lumber has been stored there for the last year,don't know if that changes things.
    Last edited by David Ryle; 05-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.

There is a blog from CS about this, just posted this week. https://blog.lostartpress.com/2017/0...late-11-bench/

It reads like a honest report. Not immediately ideal, you have some extra work flattening and reflattening the bench in the first few years, but then the wood stabilises when it has reached a moisture level suitable for your shop.

I would let them dry...Element of uncertainty if you use them "as is"....Just my thought.
    Jerry

Storing lumber for a year is good but in an unheated shop drying can be slow. A year for an inch of thickness is bandied about but clearly conditions vary a lot. I weigh my large pieces with a bathroom scale and write the weight on the wood with a lumber crayon starting at the end. Every few weeks or each month I write the new weight on the piece. It tells you how 'dry' is was and when it stabilises.
    For example: Two ash boards from the mill were cut from the standing year old dead wood for me. Both were 10"x2" about 7' long. Each board weighed 55lbs, after 3 weeks 50lbs, after 7 weeks 45lbs. My shop has in floor heating at 61F, the boards are off the floor standing on edge. Already they have lost almost 20% and 1/4" in width. The very dry Canadian winter certainly helps but the final 10% may take far longer as the very humid Canadian summer is like trying to dry wood in a sauna.

Oy!

While I would be in your boat of wanting to use lumber that I had a hand in ASAP, it's best to let it age/dry out as much as possible.

Get one of those things that can read the humidity in wood, or if you don't have a solar kiln, have someone stick it in a kiln if it's not the ideal humidity.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ryle View Post
    David, oak will shrink approximately 12% tangentially, 6% radially, and 1% longitudinally from green to 8% MC. As others have mentioned it has a higher potential to warp near a knot.