Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

08 May 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    I've spent some time working on the bee hive boxes last week and hopefully this week, I'll get the rest of the parts cut and start assembly. Spent Saturday helping a friend repair/fix their back door after the foundation on the house failed, was repaired, and everything put back in place. It was an all day deal!!! Church and family time yesterday and today, I start my week of oncall duty.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Got off of 6 weeks of ,6pm to 6am, night shifts.
    I haven't touched my yard or lawn. I've become "that neighbor".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Aside from errands and lawn mowing, I also was in the shop finishing up honeybee woodenware (literally...paining) and then installing new shelving units in the "garage" (the bay that remains in my shop building that's used for the ZTR and other landscaping things, gardening things, etc., as well as, well...honeybee woodenware. LOL I needed to do things like weed the herb garden, but honestly, it wasn't pleasant weather outside for kneeling on the ground.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I worked a midnight shift on a power system event (YUK), took 14 family friends out for dinner to celebrate Diann's 6oth birthday, and purchased a used pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers.

It was a good weekend...........Rod.

I thought about woodworking projects I want to do and celebrated my buddies birthday.... as a result I felt "off" and slept/relaxed most of Sunday

Picked up a Powermatic model 60 jointer and got it set up and running.

Made progress on a side job rebuilding a deck for a friend.

Sorted through my 8/4 scrap pile and started cleaning up some of it so I could put it to use.

Moved my Buffalo 18 drill press and tuned it up-still need to replace the cord.

Got together the electrical supplies I will need to upgrade the wiring for my workshop.

Checked out some lighting upgrade ideas for the shop.

Started designing some Asian influenced furniture I would like to build. Started negotiating with another local woodworker on the purchase of a Delta Shaper.

Next door neighbor is a woodworker and woudl like to get together and build some bandsawn boxes, made arrangements on that.

Reviewed the material takeoff to put quarter sawn Oak stairs in the house.

Watched a few woodworking videos....

Saturday our off road club our annual 'meet and greet' show. So that was a whole day of getting my Jeep to the show, talking with people, and helping clean up. Turned out well, so we will be donating a chunk of change to a local charity.

Sunday, I found out we had to get our stash of lumber moved. A friend and I went together and had about 500 board feet of lumber milled up from logs a few years ago, and had it stored at his mother in law's barn. Not sure what is driving it, but we have to have it out in a couple of weeks. The most fun was trying to remember what a couple of species we had. We knew the ash, butternut, mulberry, and box elder. And the Willow. But we had some mystery wood in there. Until we saw some bark and determined it was birch. We got it all sorted and this week we will be moving out to my outbuilding.

I also found out another friend is selling his house and outbuilding. He is going through a rough patch, and is not interested in any of his tools. So we are going to go take a look at them to see if we want any, and sell what we don't want. Then get him the cash.

Went to the local Woodcraft on Saturday during the second day of the "Spring Garage Sale", which is when they sell off all sorts of random stuff, discontinued items and such.

Picked up two Kreg Automax bench clamps (6") for $10 each, old packaging I assume. Some Bosch OMT (Oscillating Multi Tool) blades, a Bosch dust collector fitting for my Bosch router, and.....

Their Mirka CEROS demo unit/station. The CEROS, stand with baskets, and the MV-912 Dust Collector (i.e. premium shopvac). I'll be sending the CEROS back to Mirka under their recall on it. I'm going to mount a Dust Deputy on top of the demo station, plumbed down to the vac. All for 30% less than either the vac or CEROS cost.

I could've had a Festool Trion jigsaw (top handle) for $150, but I already have a Carvex, DeWalt, and Bosch 12v jigsaw. IF the Trion had been the barrel grip I'd have snagged it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I hauled a huge linden and a pretty good sized hackberry off with my brother. None of if was sawn but they were both big enough. Had a hose start leaking on the skid loader so we had some down time. Like most weekends working with my brother it was an adventure.

This next weekend I need to get started on the trim for the 10 windows I just had put in. I was hoping today would be the rainy day they would come and finish the exterior trim coil since its all under the roof of our wrap around porch. Looks like it will be another weekend before I get too far into it since I want them to be done with the expanding foam before I start the veneer work I need to do.

Don