Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recycled 2x4 project

Plywood has been bought....need to get it into the shop......forget how heavy a full sheet of 3/4" plywood is.....had the place make a couple cuts, to get it to a more manageable size, including fitting inside my van. I even found a stack of the stuff, sitting there perfectly FLAT. Stack next to it was curved up a bit. Flat sheet of plywood...at the blue BORG? How'd that happen...

Need to get the three pieces down to the shop, and start making shelves. No fancy joinery, I'll just add a cleat, and attach the shelf to each side. That way, I can move them, if needed. Just remove four screws and slide it up or down as needed. Pins are nice..until they fall out and get lost......BTDT.

Rest up a bit, before I do a little shop work....trying to get out of mowing the yard...

Pizza and Beer for supper tonight. While waiting on the delivery guy to show up, I took the top out of the clamps, cut the top to the sizes needed. A bit of plane work to flatten the top..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Also planed the end grain with a block plane. beveled the edges. Used a quarter to layout the front two corners, and beltsander them..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    drilled slotted pilot holes, and attached the top with screws..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Screws go up through the slotted holes in the webframe, and into the top. 2 front, 2 back, 1 in each end.
    maybe tomorrow afternoonish.....I can start cutting this down into shelves..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    well, Pizza is here, beer is getting warm.....call it a day...

For those still following along. I don't handsaw plywood panels....takes too long, ttends to be too hard on my saws. And, on my COPD....

Anyway, cleared a BIG spot on the bench, still wasn't enough. Somehow clamped the plywood panel in place long enough to cut a shelf out..
    IMG_0418 (640x480).jpg
    Used a spacer bar to elevate the panel a bit, hate when a saw hits my bench...Got it cut to size, both length and width. Dropped it in place..
    IMG_0417 (640x480).jpg
    Add screwed it down. made a few cleats.....
    IMG_0419 (640x480).jpg
    Two screws into slotted holes, one cleat on each side. Bottom of the shelf is 14" above the bottom shelf
    IMG_0421 (640x480).jpg
    Next shelf. It gets a cleat along the back edge, case's back will be screw to that cleat.
    IMG_0423 (640x480).jpg
    I added a thin strip of pine to the front edge with glue only. The wider board is a clamping caul until the glue dries
    Got a third shelf out of the first panel of plywood,....not much left...
    IMG_0425 (640x480).jpg
    Might be a good spot for this?
    An idea of how much room there was today..
    IMG_0424 (640x480).jpg

This was after I had cut that strip off that is laying on the workmate. Vise helps out holding the cutoff from falling to the floor. Saw is a 6-1/2" SKIL saw. Hey...it IS a vintage saw, right?
    Taking a supper break, deciding whether to do a bit more. And determine the spacing for the rest of the shelves.

Stay tuned.

Did just enough to be dangerous today...and run out of screws.

Installed #3 shelf.....something didn't look ..right. Got to checking...left side was higher than the right side? Grrrrr
    Re-checked #2 shelf.....yep. It was about an 1/8" higher on the left.....by the time the next cleats were in place....#3 was 1/4" higher. Raised the right side on #3.....was unable to get to #2's cleat.. #3 is now about...1/16" higher on the right, I think I can live with that. Will keep an eye on the next two sets of cleats. Case will get just five shelves.

New camera....the card was full of someone else's vacation pictures...deleted all but one of the 135+ pictures of Tybee Island......the one I did not delete?
    office chair.jpg
    Just an OLD office chair. I don't carve. Anyone care to try to make one of these?

Roll with it.
    Every time I try to do shelves, I always get something wrong on one side and have to fiddle everything around, or start over.
    BTW, that chair rocks.

Blog Entries
    One of my shelf making experiences had the dado on one side off by ~3/4". Since it was pine and a long shelf I just muscled it in to place.

I have since taken to putting the sides back to back before marking the dados and checking a few times during progress. Most alignment errors now are small from a saw being on the wrong side of a line and easily corrected.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not much room in the shop.....have to use up a box of screws, just to have room for the next box.......

Might get the last two shelves cut today......and maybe installed. back will be cut to fit, but left off...until the case makes it upstairs.....THEN I can add the back. Boss can paint it, and load it up..while I go and build the doors...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Did just enough to be dangerous today...and run out of screws.

Installed #3 shelf.....something didn't look ..right. Got to checking...left side was higher than the right side? Grrrrr
    Re-checked #2 shelf.....yep. It was about an 1/8" higher on the left.....by the time the next cleats were in place....#3 was 1/4" higher. Raised the right side on #3.....was unable to get to #2's cleat.. #3 is now about...1/16" higher on the right, I think I can live with that. Will keep an eye on the next two sets of cleats. Case will get just five shelves.
    Hey steven, if the cleats are just screwed in place, why not remove and do them correctly? Just a thought...

I did....Just enough to get them level..

Ok, got the last of the shelves done. Cut to size...
    square.jpg
    Nice when there is a factory edge to reference off of....got out the saw guide..
    IMG_0430 (640x480).jpg
    The offset matches the distance between the edge of the foot, and the kerf. Guide has a cleat set at 90 degrees to the guide's edge. A C clamp to keep it still...
    guide.jpg
    Got two shelves cut out. 3/4" x 13-3/8" x 27-3/8" Still had a small panel left over. Trimmed it for length.

A line of glue on the cleats, drill a few pilot holes and screw the shelves down...
    case done.jpg
    Like the other shelves, there is a nailer along the back edge of each shelf. The panel behind the case...
    backer.jpg
    Goes up here. The rest of the back needs cut to size, yet..
    back panel.jpg
    Right now, it is 36" wide, needs to get to 27-3/8" wide. 48" long, means I need to clean the bench off, again..
    clean bench.jpg

First off, that case needs to travel up a set of stairs to the Kitchen, and OUT of my shop. I can then cut the back piece, and carry it upstairs to install it. Then, while the Boss is paintint the case, I can sneak back down tothe shop, and build the doors. Glue up three 1 x10 x 6' into a panel. then split it in the middle. Stanley 45 to make a "lap" joint. Finish up by cutting to final width, counting the hinges. Then install. by then, the Boss should have the Pantry filled up.

Stay tuned, almost done...

Case has been moved upstairs to the Kitchen.....need to adjust one shelf, and finish the back. letting the Boss paint it, before it gets set into it's new home.

Need to glue up three 1 x 10 x 6' boards into a panel. Split the panel down the center. After the lap joint is milled, I can cut each door for final width on the hinge sides.

Six hinges? May go with a fancy surface mount, as I am not that good at hinges...Just shime the bottom a bit, install the hinges, remove the shim. Done. Debating on a latch of some kind.....
    Pantry.jpg
    At least it is where it can be painted. With it out of my shop, I have room to do the last few items..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-03-2017 at 5:23 PM.

Well, hauled tools upstairs, and got set up for cutting and fitting the last of the back to this thing. Cleaned the saw bench off. It sits out on the back patio,,,,I let the wind take care of sawdust..

Went the haul the 3/4" x 3' x 4' panel up the stairs from the shop......about the third step up..I found the sill plate for the floor joists, hard enough to see stars, and almost knock me out.....from there on, I was no longer in the mood to "play"

Panel didn't want to sit on the saw bench, wanted to twist and flop around.....not in the mood..two pilot holes, because the screws didn't want to start, grrrr, screwed the panel down tight to the bench....
    saw bench.jpg
    measured how far from the right, Factory Edge to where I needed to cut. Chalk line will mark a decent enough line..
    Strait Line.jpg
    A "Strait Line" in fact. I am too out of shape to handsaw this sort of thing, so..
    cordless saw.jpg
    Hey, it is a cordless, handsaw, right? Blade might be a wee bit dull...

I used a large Try Square to mark where the centers of the webframes are, on the sides of the case. Hard to see the frames through the plywood...

Used my foot to raise the plywood panel up to where it needed to be, transfered the frame mark, and drilled a pilot hole. Then it was a matter of adding a screw or three
    back.jpg
    Not too bad, an air gap vent, for when the GrandBRATS slam the doors.

As for what this pantry will replace...
    old pantry.jpg
    Might be 10 years old? Made it for another kitchen, a long time ago....
    New Pantry's back will be facing that wall.

Now up to the Boss to load it up, paint it up, and move it to it's new home. I have doors to make.....

Head and neck hurt, I need a nap.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-04-2017 at 1:49 PM.

Got the head checked out at the ER a bit ago.....MONSTER headache, worst than most hangovers I've had.....Nothing cracked, brain is fine, neck has a strain. Big bump on the top of me head. Dr. Feelgood is in, means no booze for tonight.

Monday, the shop is usually closed.....beginning to think Sundays will need to be.

Until the next payday, then I can get some lumber, and make the doors. Need to buy the hinges, too.

Will see about having my grandson bring a "Bumpcap" home from where he works. And make a "Hard Hat Area" sign for the shop's door...

Feel better!

Blog Entries
    Here's hoping all is well with the old noggin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)