Thread: Long Ranger III popping GFI on shutdown of Dust Collector?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Long Ranger III popping GFI on shutdown of Dust Collector?

I have a new Long Ranger III on my Jet 1.5hp dust collector (110V). The remote starts the dust collector up and it runs fine. However the GFI kicks out the circuit about half the time when I shut it down with the remote. The GFI pops when the motor spins down slow enough for the centrifugal switch for the capacitor in the motor drops back in. So the sequence is:

1. Off on the remote and power is cut to the motor
    2. motor starts coasting down
    3. when motor rpm drops low enough, the capacitor start centrifugal drops back in (as typical, you can hear it when that occurs)
    4. the GFI pops simultaneously with motor centrifugal switch dropping back in

The GFI kicks out at the same time the centrifugal switch drops back in. So the starting capacitor dropping back into the circuit must be giving some feedback to the box that throws the GFI.

BTW, I called the supplier (PSI) and talked to their service department and their suggestion was, "Do not run it on that GFI protected circuit because your GFI is just too sensitive." Yeap, no real analysis or technical info on their part or help.

So has anyone experienced this same behaviour with a Long Ranger III remote??
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 05-19-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity