Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodbye Rigid 6" Jointer & Dewalt DW735 Planer

The Rigid was the first jointer I have ever owned. It works really well, but it is limited by the table length and of course the 6" capacity. It is also relatively light, so it tend to want to move a little when I try to feed heavier stock on it. I don't expect any of those problems with the new machine of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Well, I just looked up the Felder. I've seen combination machines in use, but wasn't sure on the model #. I am very curious how one would get used to the constant swapping back and forth between applications.

I think it would be great to have 16" jointing ability, but there are so many times that I would run a board across my jointer (6") and immediately run it right through the planer next to it, then joint the edge and plane the opposite edge and have a perfectly 4 square board. That would take at least 10 times as long on the above machine.

Also, it seems that the aluminum fence was extremely flexible in the videos I watched. How do they fair against a wide board on edge?

Other than the greater capacity, what is the big attraction to the combo machines?

Not knocking your new toy; it looks like a very nice piece of machinery, but I think I would hold onto the Dewalt for sure.....

Dan
    I will probably hold on to my DeWalt planer, if for no other reason that I have very little use on it, made a custom stand for it and the amount of money I would likely receive my selling it isn't likely to go far in contributing towards next year's planned purchase of a K3 or K500 sliding table saw. Plus, I bought spare knives for it and a Wixey digital readout that I want to try out on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    congratulations!

What does a machine like that sell for ?
    What I got for my car, (I downsized), everything in my tool savings account that I have saved for the past two years, and half of my credit line limit ... Around $15K...

Joe, if you have the space, keeping the DeWalt planer isn't a horrible idea as you can utilize it for special setups and it's a better choice for "really thin" stuff, too, because of the rubber, rather than serrated, feed rollers. Congrats on your new tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keeping the dewalt sounds like a good idea--especially if there is the possibility you want the luxury of planing an odd board without switchover. I will say a big planet is definitely preferred when batch milling. (My parks is much nicer than the rigid lunchbox for this)

Is your power and dust collection set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Keeping the dewalt sounds like a good idea--especially if there is the possibility you want the luxury of planing an odd board without switchover. I will say a big planet is definitely preferred when batch milling. (My parks is much nicer than the rigid lunchbox for this)

Is your power and dust collection set up?
    I will have a new 30 amp circuit installed within the next two weeks . I do have 3 hp cyclone dust collector, but it is not set up yet...

Congratulation. As an owner of a Felder joiner/planer for 18 years and a Dewalt 735 for 10 years I'd recommend you keep the 735. I still use my 735 for certain "stuff" because it will make a lighter cut than the Felder with out leaving in-feed roller marks. 1/4 X 3/4 edging is one of them.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hollis View Post
    I do have 3 hp cyclone dust collector, but it is not set up yet...
    You probably already know this, but you must have DC hooked up to the J/P in order to use it...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You probably already know this, but you must have DC hooked up to the J/P in order to use it...
    I thank you for this information Jim, because I did not. My "dust collector" for years has been a push broom and that large aluminum dust pan Lee Valley sells.... It doesn't draw a lot of current, but it has kept me busy...

I will make sure the D/C is set up before I get the machine working. I have an existing electrical circuit I can use for it.

Joe

Yea, you can't run a J/P without a DC attached and running...it will clog up in, oh...about 15 seconds.

BTW, rubber Fernco sewer connections will slip right on the typical 120mm port on these machines.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, you can't run a J/P without a DC attached and running...it will clog up in, oh...about 15 seconds.

BTW, rubber Fernco sewer connections will slip right on the typical 120mm port on these machines.
    Not necessarily I ran the 6" hose to the Jet JJP-12 in jointer mode but somehow managed to not hook it up. It just blew the chips out the dust chute. I didn't try planer mode where there are more chips coming out, I probably should just to see what happens. Some people just gotta pee on the electric fence ya know

I sold my Ridgid planer when I got my Jet JJP-12H but I have come to regret it. I think Jim who mentionedone big reason. Sometimes, you want to take off only a very thin slice of a board and the JJP-12H doesn't do that very well. You can see the marks from the infeed roller. Also, I had an easier time getting a really precision thickness with the Ridgid. As someone else said, it would be nice to be able to step over from the jointer and immediately run the same piece through the planer. The JJP-12H is waaaay faster than the Ridgid when you have a lot of work to do and the spiral segmented cutter works beautifully on figured wood.