Thread: Buying my first William & Hussey molding knives

Buying my first William & Hussey molding knives

Six months ago I bought a William & Hussey molder on an auction. It came with 6 sets of cutters that I have been using for a variety of projects. I finally have the need to buy some cutters to match existing moldings (stock profiles only). There seems to be a variety of prices for the same cutter style.

One of the profiles is your standard 2-1/4" casing.
    wm-356.jpg

I'm finding prices from $60 - $95 between all the different vendors.

Are there any differences in quality between the different vendors when it comes to stock profiles?

I'm leaning toward using Molding Knives Direct as they are only 60 miles from my home and the lowest cost vendor I've found.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wes

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Lower cost knives are often made from low quality steel, sometimes pairs or sets of knives aren't the same and they cut poorly and dull quickly. If you're only going to run a small amount of molding, they might be ok. Better knives and steel can be purchased through a good sharpening shop or machinery supply like Woodworkers Tool Works or CG Schmidt. Cost a few dollars more but worth it.

I get my custom made cutters for about $44/in pair.

To start with ,there are variations on that profile . Compare them and make the differences part of how you choose a vendor. As Mark wrote ,the lowest quotes are usually from companies using cheap steel. Don't accept any thing under M2,
    REAL M2 ...not something "comparable" or "same hardness as M2". Demand invoice shows steel grade. Most of custom ground knife sales are made on price alone . Operator is trying to make a sale,not give free education. That's why they push the sub par steel.

Blog Entries
    I've bought knives from a lot of places, but this is usually first on my list: http://www.customouldingknives.com/
    Always well made with top quality steel. Many steel and carbide options

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    I've bought knives from a lot of places, but this is usually first on my list: http://www.customouldingknives.com/
    Always well made with top quality steel. Many steel and carbide options
    I second this recommendation. I used the WH moulder you have to completely replace every bit of molding in an 1870's carpenter gothic and had 23 sets of different knives made by them. BTW that molder is an amazing machine, I still feel like it is magic after running a piece through one pass no sanding. Insane on very wide stock too.