Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new Shop Vac

I have the 14-gallon Ridgid 1450 and the 12-gallon Craftsman XSP linked previously. Both have been good vacuums and both are reasonably quiet. I think you'd be happy with either one. Here's a good comparison review.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=226762

As you mentioned above, you can build a Thien top-hat separator to fit on your old vacuum canister, or you can buy a Dust Deputy and make a plywood lid to fit the canister. From what I've read, the Dust Deputy does a better job of separating out the fine particles.
    Last edited by Bob Faris; 05-31-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Bob

Thank you for the link. It's nice to read a non biased review.

I called Ridgid when I bought my 14 gal unit about 7 years back to find one that was quiet. I run a Dust Deputy ahead of the unit so the 14 vs 16 gal was not a factor, and the cost was a little more than some of the 16 gal units. For some unknown reason, the sound level is not given for a lot of models and calling was the only way I could get a clear answer. You might be able to get a unit run at HD to hear it but maybe not. I have been very satisfied with noise and service, and the filter seldom requires cleaning since 95%+/- of trash and dust are in the dust deputy.

I bought the 14 gallon Ridgid a couple of months ago and very happy with it

shopvac doesn't seem to be able to build a switch that will stay on reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Keller View Post
    shopvac doesn't seem to be able to build a switch that will stay on reliably.
    The switch on my Shopvac drives me crazy. The on and the off buttons rub against each other and their housing and often turn back off after turning on or turn back on after turning off. I have to guide the button I am not pushing so it will go all the way up to the disengaged position. Mine's the 12 gallon metal drum "heavy duty" version sold by Menards about 18 months ago. Avoid it.

Isn't that the truth! I got so frustrated with mine I finally yanked it out and have a 2" cord coming out to a simple rocker switch that just dangles on the top of the unit. I sealed up the gap with silicone caulk. It's been 100% reliable since I put it on...

I thought about adding a toggle. I would like it to be mounted to the machine though. I have the metal drum model and the cheapest plastic model. They both have the same switch.

I rue the day when my old 900C ShopVac craps out .... Bought it in the early 90s....
    i use a catch bag and a pleated filter in it.... a little noisy, but it's a real sucker ...

Don't get one with a stainless steel canister

The Shop-Vac I purchased from Lowes had a stainless steel canister that rusted out. Shop-Vac customer service said that was to be expected.