Thread: Requesting Digital Scale Recommendations For My SCM Planer

Requesting Digital Scale Recommendations For My SCM Planer

I just purchased an SCM MiniMax SC3 slider (their newest version) and the FS30 12-inch jointer planer. I'd like to install a digital scale to the planer. Anyone have a suggestion for what digital scale is high quality and where to get it?

Thanks.

Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

Jeff,

You might give Wixey a look, they are a SawMill Creek Sponsor.
    The link is in my signature below.

I have a Wixey readout on my 15'' planer. Overall, I'm happy with it, but I had a heck of a time with the magnet that moves the positioner up and down the slide. I finally gave up, took the magnet off, and bolted them together. I'm sure it was an alignment issue, but I just couldn't seem to get it right. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had it set, it moved up and down freely when I watch it like a hawk. Then, first project afterwards, I would see the counter had stopped moving and the magnet wasn't connected at all. Looking back, I would have also considered an iGaging absolute digital readout.

Accurate technologies Proscale. Step up from Wixey. Dave

I like the AccuRemote, bought several. Comes in various lengths, can be cut if needed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071EFLDO

JKJ

I installed a Wixey on my 20" PM several years ago. Works fine and display is permanently affixed to machine. Tilted display makes it easy to read. Seems to be easy on batteries. Just noticed that the ones in there should be changed. I try to change them annually but these are many months beyond that.

wixey small planer.JPG

I also just installed a Wixey on my new Ellis drill press. I made some of the brackets since I don't like stuff sticking out and dangling. I wish the display had a little more contrast. Since it rides the scale, you cannot tilt it to make it easier to read. (Edit: added photo of DP)

ellis dp wixey.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 05-30-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add photo and text for clarity

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. Once again SMC provides helpful replies.

Jeff

I have a Jet JP-12HH combo machine that has the Wixey WR550 digital readout and it works quite nicely. It was also fairly easy to install.

I have the wixey on my 12" Laguna Jointer/Planer. Took some modification to make it work, but it's been bang on since then.

Oh, and nice to see another Tampa Bay woodworker. Aren't enough around here.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.