Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vacuum chucks

Tom at JT is having some health issues and having a slow recovery. I am positive he will make good on any orders as soon as he is able. Since he is a one man operation it will take him a little time.

Hope he recovers soon. I don't know him personally, but I am a happy customer of his. As customers in an internet-click-and-buy-it-world, we often get used to dealing with the amazon's of the world. It is important to remember that life happens, and sometimes there are pauses in small business operations.

I appreciate the quality of the my product from JT. Excellent machining, and high quality materials.

Well worth the wait. I am looking at his screw chuck system when he recovers and starts back up.

Hope Tom has a a quick and full recovery,
    Michael

I switched to vacuum chucking several months ago and after months of fretting research I opted for the 'Frankensteign approach. Frugal vacuum and kit which was very easy to assemble, the Oneway vacuum chuck itself, and the JT adapter (yes...it's worth it) Hopefully they're just on extended vacation. With respects to teh chuck, I know I could have made my own but I was more interested in 'getting going' than creating my own. Now that I've been using one for some time, however, I can readily see the advantage of the spindle threader and making a variety of my own.

I know turning (and woodworking in general) is also partly tool collecting, but I just don't get the lack of enthusiasm for the DIY version. It's something you can make with the lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I know turning (and woodworking in general) is also partly tool collecting, but I just don't get the lack of enthusiasm for the DIY version. It's something you can make with the lathe!
    Bob, that would have been big in one of the 1930s "Popular" magazines. Now all the do it yourself mags are just full of ads!

William, Sorry for the delay ... guess I didn't see your response then I was at shows for a few days. I put the foam type stuff on the end of the chuck ... then I tape a piece of leather onto the top of that. I think it would work with just the leather, but with both I never get that nasty ring in my finish ... as I finish almost everything on the lathe (lacquer).
    Gary

I got the vacuum adapter thru robust this morning. They don't handle the vacuum hub, so I will make one, but thanks to everyone for offering their suggestions!!!!!!
    Dean