Thread: Powermatic 66 pulley

Powermatic 66 pulley

While trying to change the arbor bearings on my old Powermatic 66, I have run into a problem. I got the saw all apart, belts off, and took out the two allen screws set into the pulley, but for the life of me I can't get the pulley off the shaft. Am I missing something? Is there another step I haven't done that will loosen the pulley? The arbor is actually moving in the trunion (with gentle persuasion) so I'm sure once the pulleys come off, I can get the arbor out and work on getting the bearings off...just can't get that triple pulley off! Please help!
    Thanks!

Make sure there isn't another Allen screw underneath one or both of the screws you already took out. If the pulley ever slipped on the arbor, then the set screws might have plowed grooves in the arbor, making it difficult to get the pulley to move. (I'm dealing with precisely that situation on a lathe I just picked up.). Even just sawdust or grime can make it difficult to move the pulley.

You may need to use a bearing puller--with care. The thin edges of the pulley can be delicate. A bearing splitter might fit behind the pulley and give better support.
    Chuck Taylor

I would heat it with torch to 150+ F. then use a bearing splitter.
    I often take the old bearing apart, anneal both races and grind a little clearance into them. they make great bearing pressing sleeves. You know they only need a few thousandths off to be a slip fit. I often drill or ream the inner race for clearance rather then grind.
    Bill D

Go to harbor freight and get a bearing puller. They are cheap and work well. I've used mine several times. last used it to take a pulley off my planer.

Mike

Well, that didn't work! Got a puller, and apparently didn't follow Charles Taylor's advice closely enough...and broke the pulley! Guess what, I still can't get it off the shaft! So my next question is...does anyone know where I can find a replacement triple pulley for this saw? I might need the whole arbor assembly by the time I'm done. I searched the normal outlets (ebay etc.) but can't seem to find a pulley. They have a shaft and bearing assembly, but I'm not sure if it's for this saw, or the newer models...but either way, that still wouldn't help with the pulley. Anyone know where to find one? I have orders already backing up!

If using a puller you may need to make something to pull against rather than the edges of the pulley. TubalCain (mrpete222) has a YouTube video about removing a pulley without damaging it. He might show a different type of pulley the the principle is the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvmR1BsLs8

When faced with a difficult removal, I do this:

As mentioned, check for unnoticed fasteners!
    If the shaft is rusty, clean off the rust first.
    Soak for a day in PB Blaster.
    While soaking, periodically tap the connection sharply with a small hammer, enough to make it "ring".
    Try gripping the shaft firmly and twisting the pulley.
    Try moderate force with a puller. Pullers often require some rigging.
    Use the hydraulic press. Also requires rigging.

You can use the "fire wrench" as the automobile guys sometimes call an oxy-acetylene torch. Know how much heat is appropriate for the materials.
    I usually reserve heat for difficult threaded connections such as large rusted nuts. When heated it still may need the puller.

You can easily make a specialized puller with some bolts and nuts, threaded rods, pieces of wood, or strips/angle iron of steel or other metal.

I had to remove several components from a shaft from an old hydraulic pump recently. I used the PB Blaster/puller method.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lawrence View Post
    ...broke the pulley! Guess what, I still can't get it off the shaft! ...
    Oops, I just read this note, probably posted while I was composing mine (and enjoying a hot breakfast!) Bummer.

At this point I would remove the pulley buy cutting it off.

I don't know where to get that specific pulley but if you measure the shaft diameter and the dimensions of the three pulleys I'd be amazed if you couldn't find one to fit. I don't have a specific source but there are many pulley suppliers, probably one near you if you live near a city or industry. Look for "step pulley", for example, on Amazon.

JKJ

Were you using a splitter when it broke? Depending on groove spacing you may have to replace both pullies if it is a uncommon size. Most likely it is standard . Search for "sheave" in a industrial supply catalog. Enough room for a taper lock mount? they are easy to remove.
    Bill

Surplus center has pulleys. I switched out both when I changed the motor on my 66.
    Don

look at ebay. link below to first one that may work. If you horsepower is under 10 you can probably use only two belts. Modern synthetic belts are much better then when the saw was designed about 90 years ago.
    Bill D.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Triple-Groove-Sheath-V-Belt-Pulley-3B-42-SH-/282387129691?hash=item41bf95a55b:g:e6MAAOSwfVpYvzU k

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...ign_manual.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-06-2017 at 8:08 PM.

Ugh. Hate to hear the pulley broke. Maybe I should have shouted words of caution a little louder.

I agree that you may be able to get by with a 2-belt pulley. Recent versions of the PM66 came with only a 2-belt set, if I'm not mistaken.
    Chuck Taylor

Just changed the arbor bearings on my Grizzley cabinet saw and there is a nut on the end of the shaft, with the nut off and the pulley set screws loose I was able to tap the shaft out with a fowl and a hammer

When I swapped out my motor I went from 3 to 2 belts. No issue on the 3hp motor.
    Don

On the 65 I restored I couldn't get the pulley off the motor. Tried soaking it in BP Blaster for weeks, tried heat, bigger pullers from a motor shop, etc. Had to cut it off with an angle grinder. I couldn't find a replacement 3 pulley so I had my brother bore out an arbor pulley. Rather than go to that trouble, I'd suggest getting two new 2 belt pulleys. With the belts we have these days it won't make a difference.