Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth Saving? Stanley / Bailey #8C

Worth Saving? Stanley / Bailey #8C

Hey all,

Getting started on restoring a bunch of planes I've picked up over the years. One of them is a Bailey #8C. However, I just noticed that there is a cupped wear right in front of the mouth. At it's deepest, I measure 25 thou. Will this significantly affect the operation of the plane? Worth continuing the restoration?

Planes I'm working on:
    set.jpg
    The #8C is the 2nd from the right.

Plane showing dishing in front of mouth:

dished.jpg
    Note that the front of the plane is at the top

Flattened and polished (excluding the dished area):

polished.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sean,

In short, YES IT IS WORTH SAVING and continuing with the restoration. The #8 size is not all that common, and usually bring a pretty fair price on that auction site. I couldn't tell which plane you are working on from the picture, but am assuming it is the 2nd on from the right, since the plane on the far right is a Stanley Bed Rock. As you probably already know, if the 2nd plane from the right is the Stanley Bailey, and is a post 1900 plane, then the lever cap is from a different plane, but if it works fine that is all that matters for a user.

You might take a couple more pictures of the plane up close, such as the patent dates behind the frog, etc. All three of your big jointer planes look very restorable from what I can see from you photos, but closer pictures would help, because some models are more desirable than others. In my view, your Bed Rock is as good as you can possibly get, model wise, and is extremely desirable for restoration.

Beyond that however, the older Baileys are also highly desirable, IMHO, and especially those made from roughly 1900 to about 1930 or so. Of those, the ones I like best are the type 10s, through probably the type 14s or so, but for me, any #8 Bailey or Bedrock from that era is going to be very much worth restoring, if in restorable condition, assuming any missing parts aren't at a terribly price.

Beyond that, Jim (and others) likes even earlier Stanley Bailey planes, and know how to adjust the older ones better than I can with all kinds of sturr.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 06-06-2017 at 2:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Stew said, it can still be a good jointer even with a little dishing in front of the mouth.

My #5-1/2 has a bit of wear in the same area. Still does a good job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

25 mils (1/40") is about 0.6 mm. IMO you probably don't want to try to flatten that out, as you'll lose more sole than it's worth. If you do decide to flatten it anyway then you might want to look up somebody like Tablesaw Tom who can/will do it with a surface grinder, as it will take forever to remove that much by hand.

I agree with the others who've pointed out that a flat just ahead of the mouth isn't as important in a jointer like the #8 as it is in size that is primarily used for smoothing, like a #4. Just be aware that you'll have to rely mostly on the cap-iron set to control tearout (which you should be doing anyway IMO). By the same token, there's absolutely no point in trying to set this plane's mouth tight when fettling, because if the sole in front of the mouth doesn't engage the wood then the mouth accomplishes nothing other than to trap shavings.

Tom isn't grinding soles any more, unfortunately

Blog Entries
    I would look for a machine shop to grind it.

DON"T have that sole ground...period! That area is VERY THIN as it is. You would run the risk of something far worse than a slight hollow...
    big mouth 001.JPG
    DAMHIKT..

#8c Type 9
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-06-2017 at 1:01 PM.

Its really not clear where the recessed area is. Without knowing that I don't see how anyone can tell you what to do other than to leave it alone. Maybe you could highlight the outline of the problem spot with a marker and then put a mark to show where the deepest spot is and post another picture or two. Otherwise, unless the deepest dip is actually right at the edge of the mouth I would leave well enough alone. - edit -- check that, Id still leave it alone.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 06-06-2017 at 8:42 PM.

So, a correction. My notes were off, the hollow is 2.5 thou, or .06 mm. My bad!

I have a 3hp Acme edge sander with a flat platten 26" long. Checking with a Veritas precision straight edge it's producing flat results, so that's the method I'm using to rough them close with 80 grit.

If it's hard to see, but the recess is the crescent area in the 2nd pic just above (in front of) the mouth. My worry is that will encourage the wood to chip out in front of the blade, hence the question

Yes, it is the second plane from the right. The 608C on the far right is in rough, but salvagable shape. Electrolysis rust removal is amazing, but the hardware is beyond fixing. Thursday I'll be going to a buddy's place to weld on nuts in order to get a couple of the screws out to remove the frog. I'll add some additional pics shortly
    Last edited by Sean McCurdy; 06-07-2017 at 1:10 AM.

As promised, some additional pictures.

The patent dates of the #8C:
    8 dates.jpg

The frog of the #8:
    8 frog.jpg

The 608C as it stands today, soaking in PB blaster, waiting to weld on some nuts to remove the frog screws:
    608 soak.jpg

The back of the 608C frog, showing how trashed the screws are. This is roughly the texture of the whole plane before I did the electrolysis bath.
    608 frog.jpg

The blade and breaker on the 608C:
    blade.jpg

Tonight's progress of cleaning up the bottoms. The 8C needs a bit more time to get the rust out of the grooves, but it's at least flat.
    flattened.jpg

2 thou? Some 120 grit on a glassplate and when you feel very fastidiuos, finish with some 240.

Nice plane.

Blog Entries
    The blade and breaker on the 608C:
    I have seen some planes in bad condition before. That one looks like it was salvaged from a sunken boat.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I wish I had the story of how it got that bad.

The dish around the mouth is bad news. With nothing to loose I would put it on a belt sander.

If you use a machine shop, likely it will cost more than the plane is worth.

100% agree with Kees. .002" is nothing to remove with the right grit sandpaper. Plus, you don't have as much surface area as a regular #8 because of the corrugations. Try SC paper and mineral spirits glued to something very flat. You can put on some Dykem in the offending area to gauge your progress. There is no way to control a belt sander...you are asking for trouble there.