Thread: Hicks Yew

Hicks Yew

I had an old hicks yew (I think) stump sitting around for years and finally decided to do something with it. It's 5" x 5.5"finished with lacquer. I didn't take a before photo but the last pic is similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful wood!

Would love to hear about how you got from homely stump to gorgeous hollow form.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    Beautiful wood!

Would love to hear about how you got from homely stump to gorgeous hollow form.
    Hi Robert. No mystery, as I said it sat for years and was already dry throughout. So I trimmed all the branches, put it between centers, roughly rounded it out, and turned a tennon on the bottom end. Then I mounted it in a chuck, finished rounding and sanding the outside. Then I drilled a hole with a Forstner bit to get the hollowing started. Because this was a small piece I just used a bowl gouge to finish the hollowing. I only sanded the top two inches of the interior but the rest is rather smooth from using the gouge as a scraper.

Amazing job and a great piece of wood!!!..... the before picture looks like something that you might just throw out.... glad you didn't..