Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your dovetail jig?

Blog Entries

Do you use your dovetail jig?

I have one and I do not remember the last time I used it. It is a 24" Leigh, at least 15 years old.
    It sits under a bench drawing dust.

Just curious if I am the only one. If I need a dovetailed drawer, I cut them by hand.
    It is interesting how your needs change.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-12-2017 at 11:29 AM.

That's a good question. I use mine for a lot things other than dovetails. Of course there a sliding dovetails, mortises, tenons, dowel making, shutter slat sockets, and all sorts of other router-based stuff. A couple of weeks ago I used it to modify the radio panel from my sailboat to take the new VHF radio. I also used it to modify the mounting bracket for said radio.

I have not used mine in so long I don't know where it is. For commercial cabinets clients like the domino drawer and its lower cost. For furniture I hand cut/chop/fit.

I have a Rockler jig that I used a couple of times, and the dovetailed drawers looked decent (maybe a little too uniform) and fit great.

I then tried doing a few by hand with a Japanese saw and some-not-so sharp chisels. The first efforts looked kinda terrible, but the process was more satisfying, and I haven't used the Rockler jig since.
    Doing them by hand actually started me down the neander path, whereas before then everything was track saw, MFT, router and band saw. I have since built a proper workbench with vises, picked up a few more chisels and a Western dovetail saw, and right now am trying to get better at sharpening (while also trying to resist picking up the sharpening fetish).

For me, it is strictly a hobby, so I don't really have deadlines for projects (and haven't completed too many to date), so I am content to work slowly and try to improve my hand tool skills. But, I will keep the Rockler jig just in case I decide to do a big cabinet project with lots of drawers at some point.

Only once since getting an automatic dovetailer.

Blog Entries
    I use mine whenever I build drawers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

so far my drawers have all been for cabinets - shop, kitchens, office etc - too many at once to try to cut dovetails by hand when I really suck at it

so yah - my leigh d4r gets used every time i need drawers - tried a set with just dominos once and decided that the leigh dovetails were much easier to assemble for a dead square drawer

YMMV

yup. I've got a Leigh D4. I use it when the project requires dovetails.

leigh suoer 12 for me and yes i use it regularly

drawer boxes, boxes, tea trays, even done some angled dt's with it, shaker steps and tea trays with angled sides

Lowell,

YES. I like box joints. I did not own a DT jig until I downsized and gave up my table saw. Without a table saw, my DT jig (PC 4200) is my "only" way to cut box joints. If I have many drawers or boxes I use it to cut DT. It basically does a better job than I can at well-fitting DT, and its much faster. The even spacing of 1/2" DT seems only to bother other craftsmen, never a client. For my best furniture work I cut wider and fewer DT by hand. Also, since I gave up my TS I have become adept at lock miter joints cut on a router table. These make very strong and attractive joints for drawers and boxes.

Doug

I had a dovetail jig but found I never used it. I sold it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I had a Rockler. Made a test box and then let it collect dust for years. Wasn't worth the cost of shipping to anyone who was interested. It went to the Goodwill.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't use mine with any frequency, but there are times when it's "the right tool for the job"...so I'm glad I own it. (Leigh)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also have a Roxkler half blind dovetail jig ~ 10 years or so. I still use it although I am transitioning to hand cut dovetails. Sometimes though, the jig is the best solution.

Of course I use my dovetail jig, when it is the right tool for the job at hand. For me cutting dovetails by hand is more enjoyable and opens up certain design options. However, when I have a job that requires a lot of drawers, I turn to the router jig and it is a real life saver. A short while ago I did a job requiring 25 dovetail drawers made out of pre-finished Baltic Birch. It would not be realistic to do such a job any way other than a router jig or outsourcing (for me at least). Not sure I've answered you very well, maybe I don't understand your question.