Thread: Countertop help in west virginia

Countertop help in west virginia

Hello All, I'm in a bit of a pickle I was commissioned to build an oak counter top for a family's new home (it's the biggest job I have ever attempted) I built the 3 long slabs 10" wide and 115" long thinking that I would cut everything down to size and assemble it after the glue ups my problem is now that I don't have the space to cut something this big/long in my lil shop .I have tried the only local cabinet shop we have around here and they are just too busy for that to be an option .So what I'm wondering is: Does anyone live near North central WV that has a cabinet saw and space that I can maybe pay to have these cut down to size? I know this is a strange one I really do ,I am really just trying to think out side the box here and get this done anyway thank you all for reading and I appreciate any help or advice you can give ! Have a Great day and be safe !
    Steve

time to buy a tracksaw????
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Steve you remind me of how I made a living roofing.
    Question to me : Can you tear off, plywood sheet and single my roof in a weekend?
    My answer: That's all I ever do. Whats your address I will give you a bid.
    I show up and see the house holy crap it's 12/12 pitch.
    Its gonna be along weekend oh well.

With a good skill saw and a straight edge or long level and clamps you break down most anything.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post

With a good skill saw and a straight edge or long level and clamps you break down most anything.
    Good Luck
    Yep, that's the way I do it!

I swear i've been racking my brain for days thinking about these big giant things ...never once did i consider a track saw LOL i was so wrapped up in doing it on a table saw it never entered my mind !!
    thank you all

Track saw would be option #1 for me, if I had the funds to buy one.

A good circular saw with a new blade and a straight edge guide clamped down is #2. I would cut it 3/16-1/4" long of your finished lengths/end first, then go back with a nice, even, slow pass for the last 1/4" or less. Should result in a cleaner result and less sanding on that end grain or edge.

If budget is limiting, go straight edge and clamps....And sharpen or get a new blade for circular saw.Should work fine regardless of size.
    Jerry