Thread: Curly Woods Turn-a-Thon

Curly Woods Turn-a-Thon

Mike Mastin of Curly Woods in McKinney, Texas, once again hosted a great TAT and barbecue meal Saturday. He provided wonderful hospitality and weather to woodworkers and woodturners from all over Texas.

The Hunt Count Woodturners brought 7 lathes and set up in a tent outside the shop. The woodworkers proved to be willing and knowledgable students, and many of them turned their first pens with only limited instruction from the turners. There were big crowds watching the Freedom Pens being turned.

One of the stars of the TAT was Don Ward from Wichita Falls. He is a highly respected penturner and was very willing share his knowledge and expertise. He demonstrated several times how to do a CA-BLO finish to anyone interested. At one point in the day, what looked like a tailgate party in the parking lot was actually Don giving demonstrations to a group.

Also present was Waylon Campbell from South Texas, who was so instrumental in fundraising for the Freedom Pen Project in 2004. Ron McIntire from Mckinney shared his method of making a segmented pen with the group, and turned his first Freedom Pen. I think it was a Baron.

Approximately 65 pens were turned. A delicious potluck meal was enjoyed by many. It was a beautiful fall day. Door prizes were provided by Curly Woods, Rockler in Mesquite, and others. The Freedom Pen Project was explained to many, and lots of people turned their first pens. Oldtimers learned new tricks and techniques. What more could woodworkers ask for? Thanks again, Mike Mastin!

Art Hendrix for Hunt County Woodturners

Way TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cool folks. Great job.

Bruce

Art,

Please express our thanks to Mike and all those who attended your TAT. The FPP is alive and well today because so many people have taken the project to heart. Another large shipment of pens will be on its way to the Middle East next week and we are already planning for the huge shipments we will be receiving from WoodCraft's TAT on Veterans Day weekend.

Although I had to leave early (I got called in to work...sheesh!), I was able to snap a few pix.

A few folks signing in...don't peek at any of Mike's gorgeous stock in the background!
    sign_in.jpg

The Hunt County Woodturners were out in force. I was a real pleasure to meet Art, Margie and the others. Their enthusiasm for the FPP really struck me.
    Hunt_County_Woodturners.jpg
    freedom_pens.jpg

Here is Craig Fyock, who helped first time turner Hans turn a Freedom Pen.
    Craig_and_Hans.jpg

Nice pen Hans...
    first_freedom_pen.jpg
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...