Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help finding 3''x1 1/4'' faceplate

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Factory-made faceplates are overrated. You can go to the local machinists supply store, buy the correct size nut and a huge washer and have the two welded together cheaply. Drill some holes and you're done.

Who cares if the resulting arrangement is slightly out of alignment? What counts is the wood blank, which will turn "true" relative to the quill.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    shop made faceplate.jpg

This is what I mean by a simple and cheap shop-made faceplate, sans the holes that are yet to be drilled. You can purchase both the nut and washers/steel disks (which come in a variety of sizes, including very large, per your requirements) and it's a simple process to add screw holes and have it welded. A buddy of mine and I both like to work on multiple projects at once, decided to just collect the parts and manufacture about a dozen of them for mutual use. We did that for the price of two high-end faceplates from Wood Craft.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."