Thread: Help with design of TS extension table

Help with design of TS extension table

I have a Grizzly 1023SL table saw without the longer rails/fence/extension table. I now have an Excalibur overarm guard that I need to somehow mount, but it needs to be mounted over 20 inches to the right of where my right extension wing ends. So I need to build some sort of extension table to attach to the right wing of the saw table. The saw is currently on an HTC mobile base in my small basement shop and if possible I'd like to be able to fold up (or remove) the extension so that I can still move the saw around. The Excalibur is pretty heavy too, so the right end of the table likely needs to be supported by legs. Has anyone built something like this or have any suggestions as to design. The actual table part is not hard (there is even an example in the Biesemeyer website that I downloaded), what I'm having difficulty with is how it will mount to my saw and still allow the saw to be mobile. Any help would be appreciated!
    -Rob

Rob,

From others I know that have a 32-36" rip fence ( I'm guessing this is what you have.... ) then the ext. wing can easily be mounted to the Fence Rails and not need support underneath...

In other words, no legs to worry about connecting to the HTC base...so it should be mobile right off the bat!

Hey Rob,

Assuming it's not too late to return your table mount blade guard, here's an option to consider-- get the Excalibur ceiling mount guard instead. You would have to make your own mounting bracket, but that's not such a big deal. I went this route, and I'm very happy with it.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan---Where did you get it, and for how much? I have just been looking around on the net and can't seem to find one.

The Other Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Dan---Where did you get it, and for how much? I have just been looking around on the net and can't seem to find one.

The Other Dan
    Yeah, the ceiling mount version seems to be almost a phantom model. Most retailers don't even know that such a thing exists. I ended up special ordering mine through the local Woodcraft store. They weren't aware of it either, but were willing to give Excalibur a call after I gave them the proper model number. ("EXBCN-CS-10" for 10" saws, "EXBCN-CS-14" for 12-14" saws.) I seem to recall that it was $220 plus shipping. This was a good option for me since I have an unusual table saw, and I wasn't sure that the standard table mounting model would fit properly. Doesn't hurt that the ceiling mount is a good bit cheaper, too!

Dan-I thought about the ceiling mount but don't think it would work for me because I want the saw (and the guard) to be mobile.

What you need then, Rob, is a mobile ceiling!

Can the ceiling mount be swiveled out of the way like the table mount?

Rob,

Is there any chance that you would be able to shorten one or both of the tubes in the gaurd? You would have to know that you won't go to a longer rails and want the tube the original length...
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle
    Can the ceiling mount be swiveled out of the way like the table mount?
    You have to build your own mounting "arm" for this model, so in theory you could incorporate whichever adjustment features you want.

Jeff--I don't think I want to cut those tubes (they telescope, one into the other).

I think I'll end up just mounting an extension table to the right wing, and maybe building a little mobile base for the leg of the guard.

Below is a link to a review of the the Excalibur overarm guard. It has 2 pictures that might be of help to you.
    http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...uard/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    Below is a link to a review of the the Excalibur overarm guard. It has 2 pictures that might be of help to you.
    http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...uard/index.htm
    Thanks Chris--I've seen Matt's excellent review in the past and I think I'll try to do something similar.
    Rob