Hey all,

After messing around with various not good enough dust collection systems that still barely deal with my dewalt planer and not much else, I've scored a brand new (used a handful of times only) Laguna 3HP DC for $1200 ($1800 new) with various bits of flex hose and fittings.

My shop is more of a garage about 25x25'. There is a wide garage door, a normal entry door and no windows. The attic is empty. There is a small concrete pad on one side where a 2nd exterior door was never added.

I'm now having to re-arrange my entire shop but I need to do so with dust collection in mind. Of the many ways I could do this, here's what I have so far. Please comment and let me know if my assumptions are well placed.

Scenario 1 (easiest)- Run 6" metal duct along ceiling to DC in one corner of the room, vent into room. I assume this will be very noisy and unpleasant while it runs but then, I'll be running a noisy tool at the same time so who cares? I figure I don't need to worry about replacing air in the shop this way though.

Scenario 2 (moderate)- As above but run ductwork through the attic which is empty. Only advantage would be avoiding cluttering the ceiling with duct work.

Scenario 3 (hard)- Build a little closet off the building over that small concrete pad I mentioned above. I'd have to penetrate the exterior wall, re-route some electric and come up with some design of handling airflow from that closet to return it to the shop.

I should mention this is an un-heated space but it is insulated so it's relatively pleasant in both winter and summer provided we are in a heat wave or a cold spell. Eventually, I'll be adding heat to it though.

I guess what I'm mainly trying to decide is just how awful it will be listening to the DC when I have to run it and if the value of locating it out the main room will be a big enough advantage to do all the work.