Thread: Epoxy

Epoxy

I am working on a walnut live edge slab and want to fill some rather large voids with epoxy. They are about 2 inches deep, 2 to 3 inches wide and 3 inches long. I am going to seal off the bottom with aluminium ducting tape. My question is how thick should my layers and how long to dry or cure? I have been told to pour the epoxy in layers to avoid heat build up and possible boiling. I will use a medium hardener 30 + minutes use time. Can I pour another say 1/2 to 1 inch layer say in two hours. I am thinking of using System Three General use of West System. Any other recommendations on epoxy for table tops. I intend to buff off the high gloss to a medium sheen.

With voids that large, why not use dutchmen?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

What is Dutchman? Also looking at Crystal Clear from East Coast Resin at $93 for 2 gallons on Amazon.

A Dutchman is a piece of wood inlaid to bridge a crack, cover a void, etc. See for example http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Need-some-help or search for "Dutchman woodworking".
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

If the fill is non structural then consider using a bulk filler like sawdust and also tinting the epoxy. I have had epoxy dry yellow or with bubbles when filling thick voids. This is not to say it cannot be done just to say that mixing and dry times ar critical.

Tinting say black eliminates the problem by making the epoxy opaque.

Are you sure you want or need to fill that big of a void with epoxy.Sometimes big voids look just fine left open.
    I saw this Walnut table for sale once in a gallery in Arizonia every little crack was filled with epoxy.I thought it looked horrible.
    Sometimes we have to ask ourself if I do this does it add to the piece or take away. Both function and beauty.
    There I spoke my mind
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Are you sure you want or need to fill that big of a void with epoxy.Sometimes big voids look just fine left open.
    +1 on that........