I built this exterior door and frame for a friend of a friend.

It's 38" x 84" x 1-3/4". The 3/4" thick raised panels are independent inside and out so each can move independently with the seasons.

The lockset is from Craftsmen Hardware Company Ltd.. The escutcheons are hand hammered copper; the deadbolt and latch assembly are Baldwin. Very nice stuff.

I used Q-Lon weatherstripping around the perimeter of the door frame and a hidden bottom seal that fits to an ADA compliant sill screwed to the concrete threshold. My pro friend felt that was the best solution for dealing with the threshold which runs downhill on the lock side about 1/4" compared to the hinge side. I think it gives a nice, clean look compared to an adjustable sill.

The bottom of the frame and brick mold were coated with 5 minute epoxy before we set them in place to help protect them against the weather. This door faces due West and gets direct exposure to the elements.

The door is a LVL core with Sapele skins and is finished with Cetol Door and Window finish, done with a brush. The panels are removable from the inside for maintenance or if they ever need to be replaced. Rather than seal them into the frame with silicone to keep water out, which would make removing them pretty difficult, I omitted the silicone and drilled weep holes in the reveal of the bottom molding. I figure those can be cleaned out as needed with a pipe cleaner. Time will tell how this all works out. At this point, the owner is pretty darned happy with the new door. This is what we replaced:

John