Thread: 10" Wood Vice

10" Wood Vice

Hello to all ... I was at a tool sale over the weekend, I saw the vice shown in the attached photos, priced at $25, and figured what the heck it had to be worth that or more.

Does anyone recognize who the manufacturer might be ... there's no identifying markings except for "MADE IN TAIWAN" in the casting. I think the green paint is original, I thought it might be something from Grizzly, but have no idea. The width of the jaws is 10", it probably opens to around 14" and there is a quick release lever just to the right and below the screw handle.

I'm planning to clean it up, probably paint it, and mount it to a home built 2x4/2x6 bench I made years ago. Given it's size, it's going to take some modifications to the bench top and frame to make that happen. It would be nice to have literature from the manufacturer regarding mounting. For example, should I mortise the back jaw into the edge of the bench or mount it so the jaw stands proud of the bench edge? Also, should I build a framework under the bench top so the very top edge of the vice sits flush to the top bench surface. Seems like the latter is a must to make use of any bench dogs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woodworker’s supply sells that vise for $130, you done good!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Woodworker’s supply sells that vise for $130, you done good!
    Thanks!! Just found it on their website, don't think I would have looked there, I appreciate your response.

No problem! Hope you enjoy your score. Post pics when it’s all done!