Thread: Where to get figured plywood?

Where to get figured plywood?

I want to make a small table with a burled walnut top, but am not quite ready to take on veneering (cost and expertise). Is there anyplace online that you can buy pre-veneered plywood or MDF for something like this?

I'm trying to create a more sophisticated look rather than just making it out of stock hardwood plywood.

Thanks!

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson
    I want to make a small table with a burled walnut top, but am not quite ready to take on veneering (cost and expertise). Is there anyplace online that you can buy pre-veneered plywood or MDF for something like this?

I'm trying to create a more sophisticated look rather than just making it out of stock hardwood plywood.

Thanks!

Brandon
    Try www.woodfinder.com and see what turns up. Also, don't forget about regular flat stock....but highly figured. That stuffs every where.

Welcome to the creek Brandon!!

We are glad to have you as a member.

If you let us know where you are from, someone may have a local source. Also, someone may be willing to help you veneer for the first time

Once again welcome!! I hope you enjoy your stay!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I live in Reno, NV if anyone knows a place that would sell such a piece.

One thing you might want to look at is the Peel and Stick veneer. I used the Peel and Stick for a large top that I thought would be a problem and it worked a lot better than I though. Look at this link, they have the Walnut Burl in peel and Stick. I also like the Walnut Burl, made this chest from some leftover veneer.

http://www.constantines.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1980
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floyd in Missouri

You might check on the internet for Hogan Hardwoods and Mouldings. They carry quite an assortment of plywoods.
    Lynn J. Sonier

Brandon,
    Waht size do you need. One of our members might lay it up for you. Just a thought.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I want to make a 24" Wide by 18" deep top that will have a walnut burl center with approximately 2 inches of straight walnut (or other complimentary wood) trim. It also needs to be finished on the back side because it will be hinged. The back can just be a straight walnut finish.

It will flip open and function as a sewing table.

Brandon,

Expect to pay 500-900 a sheet for figured ply. I researched BE maple ply about 5 months or so ago. I needed 5 sheets (much more than you.) The only supplier I could find wanted ~900/sheet ! that's not an extra 0 in there. I think you might want to take Alan's suggestion and see if any of the good folks here with a vaccuum press will glue it up for you. Trust me I searched high and low for a supplier and they all custom make these as needed so the cost is high and for the quantity you're looking for , well there will be no discounting.

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    Brandon,

Expect to pay 500-900 a sheet for figured ply. I researched BE maple ply about 5 months or so ago. I needed 5 sheets (much more than you.) The only supplier I could find wanted ~900/sheet ! that's not an extra 0 in there. I think you might want to take Alan's suggestion and see if any of the good folks here with a vaccuum press will glue it up for you. Trust me I searched high and low for a supplier and they all custom make these as needed so the cost is high and for the quantity you're looking for , well there will be no discounting.

Keith
    OUCH!!! and OUCH!!! again!! For $4500 I would think that you could set up your own vacuum press, make up your ply and still buy some other NICE tools
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to the Creek! If you find some veneer you like ( www.certainlywood.com as a suggestion), I will be glad to press it for you. A small piece shouldnt be to hard to ship. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Martin
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

I had the same experience trying to find figured ply, extremely expensive. Another option would be to find some thicker stuff and resaw into 1/4" or so and attach to standard walnut. But I bet you can find someone who would be willing to help.

As far as, peel and stick how does it hold up, I would be afraid it would come lose over time. If it works well, I may have to look into it for some projects I have coming up.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Brandon,
    Check out Joe Woodworkers site on vaneers and vaneering. It is a wealth of information and he may be able to supply you with everything you need. Who knows maybe you'll decide to do it yourself.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog...e0b4c1707cb37f

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    As far as, peel and stick how does it hold up, I would be afraid it would come lose over time. If it works well, I may have to look into it for some projects I have coming up.
    It gets used a lot for kitchen refacing jobs for frames and cabinet sides, just to give you an idea.

For what it's worth, I've been using it on small marquetry projects for about six years now, no problems. They call it "pressure-sensitive adhesive" for a reason: if it's rolled down hard on a clean flat substrate, it takes serious muscle with a chisel to get it off. And that's for relatively small pieces: I would not want to have to strip off a large chunk of it.