Thread: 30W Fiber Laser purchase

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

30W Fiber Laser purchase

I finally decided to actually get a portable 30W fiber laser (about 600-700 USD more expensive than a 20W), with rotary, and I received a first quoation, from Rayfine. I will ask more quotations from two or three other companies, but berfore I do that I want to clear some questions that I have. BTW, I will use the fiber laser for metal marking (duh) including photo 'engraving' on silver and gold necklaces, engraving and cutting duo-colored plastics, etc. And I plan to take it to all kind of (pet) shows and fairs. I'm not interested in color marking.

First question: Rayfine offered a machine with a Raycus laser source (type unknown) or a JPT LP laser source. I checked the JPT website but it's too technical for me. Here is a picture from the quotaton with some technical info. What I want to know is if the JPT LP justifies a price increase of 300 USD compared to Raycus source (the price difference is 200 USD for the 20W lasers). What's your opinion?

Second question: a rotating worktable is an option. What's the common use for it?

Third: I will get two safey goggles, priced at 60 USD each. Is that a good price?

Fourth: In the quoation a 110x110 mm lens is standard offered. Great for smaller items with good details I guess. As an extra lens I would opt for a 200x200mm (each lens costs 150 USD). Good idea?

Fifth: How critical is having the correct focus on the substrates and how accurate is the height adjustment of these Chinese lasers?

Sixth: What about the depth of (focus) field of the different lenses, can you play a bit with it with some specific tasks as you can with CO2 lasers? For instante get a bit out of focus while engraving trolase.

Seventh (also CO2 related): I want to cut and engrave more 2-colored UV-resistant plastics than I do now and I think the material that you often see (Rowmark, Trotec) is pretty expensive. Does someone has a good Chinese source?

That's it, for now. I checked the forum of course for information, so other questions that I had were answered, but not the above ones.

Finally, I'm not interested in the Cyclops Camera System, I will use the red marking area. However, the X-Y table (130 USD), yes or no? Hm .....
    Last edited by Erik Goetheer; 06-28-2017 at 8:37 AM.
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.