Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Lathe Choice- Non VS vs VS

Thanks all.. this is solid input.

Bill Blasic.. I want to be your friend

No question VS is the way to go with any wood lathe. I had a Nova 16 24 and converted it to VS. Now I have a Grizzly G0766. I will never go back to a non-VS.

Just to correct a few statements - the Jet 1220 is the older out of production model. The new model is 1221. My 1220VS had 5 speed belt changes as well as the adjustment although they told you to only use three of those speeds. Jet has a 5 year warrantee that is well supported.

Our club had several Delta's and had parts problems on all of them. Delta lathes bought the rights to the lathes from B&D when they acquired the parent company years ago. B&D supplied parts until they ran out and the contract expired, so parts were scarce for awhile.

The club now has access to a new Jet 1221vs. Everyone in the club seems to prefer the new Jet to the older Delta for ease of use, placement of the controls, and greater mass.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Another plus for Delta 46-460 over the Jet.

I also have the Nova Comet II. I am a beginning turner, but love the lathe. The VS is nice because the mid-speed range seems just about right for doing the work I planned on doing, bowls. Since it has 3 pulleys, I suppose there are times when you would need to move the belt, but I haven't yet found one. It will turn a bowl up to 12" in diameter which is a little larger than most midi-lathes. I got the the G3 chuck free with it as an introductory offer and don't know if that is still available. The lathe is a very nice midi and, mounted on the Nova stand made for this lathe, it is very solid.

First VS is by far the way to go. I have the older Delta LA200 and the older Jet 1220. Both are 8 to 10 years old. The Jet is a VS and the Delta is belt. VS is the best choice. As far as these older lathes neither has had much go wrong. The Delta I have only changed the belt and replaced the speed handles (from plastic to metal). The Jet a little more, I replaced the toggle switch and had to disassemble and clean the rotor (kept tripping the breaker on the lathe). I bought a new lathe and have decided to sell the Delta mainly because the Jet is VS.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I also have the Nova Comet II. I am a beginning turner, but love the lathe. The VS is nice because the mid-speed range seems just about right for doing the work I planned on doing, bowls. Since it has 3 pulleys, I suppose there are times when you would need to move the belt, but I haven't yet found one. It will turn a bowl up to 12" in diameter which is a little larger than most midi-lathes. I got the the G3 chuck free with it as an introductory offer and don't know if that is still available. The lathe is a very nice midi and, mounted on the Nova stand made for this lathe, it is very solid.
    Randy - you must be using fairly well balanced blanks to start a 12" piece out at the 500 min rpm of mid range. I usually work with log sections that are not balanced and find that my well fastened down Comet lathe can "dance" with 6 to 8"D pieces. I did use the low speed range once on a unbalanced 12"D piece at the 250 rpm but slipped the belt anytime that I took much cut, but did turn a bowl after get it balanced and switching to mid range belt setting. I use the high speed range for turning pens, finials, and some smaller lidded boxes.

I thought I mentioned it earlier.. but....
    I want to be Bill Blasic's Best Friend Forever. Sounds like a most generous man

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Randy - you must be using fairly well balanced blanks to start a 12" piece out at the 500 min rpm of mid range. I usually work with log sections that are not balanced and find that my well fastened down Comet lathe can "dance" with 6 to 8"D pieces. I did use the low speed range once on a unbalanced 12"D piece at the 250 rpm but slipped the belt anytime that I took much cut, but did turn a bowl after get it balanced and switching to mid range belt setting. I use the high speed range for turning pens, finials, and some smaller lidded boxes.
    Actually haven't done a 12" blank yet, but did do 10". I have taken most of my blanks so far from more regular wood I have glued up in the shop or from blanks I found at a good price or from friends. I always try to cut the blanks in as regular a circle as I can and, while one of the m did vibrate more, I quickly knocked the higher spots off and the vibration dropped off considerably. I have never had any problems with 6" to 8" blanks. Anyway, my point was that I think it's a great lathe, especially for a beginner bowl turner who is starting out small and building up. Plus, for other smaller turning projects it is great also. I'm sure that I'm likely to reach the limits of the lathe some day a couple of years down the road but, for now, I think it's a great lathe, especially for beginners and for those who want to turn just smaller items. If I had it to do over, I might buy a bigger VS lathe, like either the NOVA DVR 1644 or 2024, but I didn't want to spend $2,000 - $3,500 for a new lathe and find out I didn't really like turning. I do like it, but I like all kinds of woodworking and don't really focus a 100% on turning right now. So, for me, it is a great lathe.

Randy - I used my Comet today to turn 2 little pieces, one was severely out of balance to start, rather than my 3520B. The Comet does have a lot of good features and with some modifications, it works well for me and lighter weight makes a good travel lathe. Plan to keep it when you move up to a larger lathe.

Another vote for VS and the Delta 46-460. I have one of the very early models. I had a problem in the first month or so that turned out to be the speed potentiometer. Delta sent me a new circuit board with a pot attached. That is the only issue that I have had. I do keep the area around the switch vacuumed out every time I turn or take a break to sharpen tools. I can stall the motor with a deep cut and I have turned blanks that were scraping the ways until rounded off at just over 12 inches. I believe that Delta had a problem with parts but is better now. It never concerned me because a DC motor controller is a common part and I figured if the thing blew up and parts were not available I would just buy a replacement controller from a another company.

Bill I bought them but was repaid by the club and the members who bought them. A group buy led to getting better prices. What I meant by not being impressed with the Jet 1221 is that the 1221 + stand is $1148 and the Delta 46-460 + stand is $800. To me there is no way that the 1221 is $348 better than the 46-460.