Thread: Orbital sander size

Question Orbital sander size

Today my 25-year old Bosch sheet sander broke while sanding my workshop door. I run and purchased another one: Bosch GSS 23 AE.

Both my previous and the newer sander use 1/3 (regular) sand paper sheet. It looks me very convenient as I can purchase regular sand paper and cut on demand. Cheap and convenient.

I noted when arrived in my local consumer tool shop (Leroy Merlin) most models used smaller size paper, included some round one. Amazon at the US also lists mostly "odd" sized orbital sanders. Although I can see a small triangular sander also interesting, I fail to understand why apparently people prefers smaller "odd" sized orbital sanders than a more usual format like 1/3, 1/4 or even 1/2 (regular) sheet size... perhaps you can show me some reasons...

Thanks in advance for your input.

Just speaking from my own experience, i have different sanders for different applications. I use the smaller 5" orbital for most of my light finishing as i find that the orbitals are a little more forgiving than a sheet sander. I have a ridged 6" variable speed that is a beast ive actually sanded floors with it before. I use a dewalt 1/4 sheet when i need to take a fair amount off or if it is a situation that a square shape will be better than the round orbital. And i use a small triangle sander once in a while that dremel makes for edges or details.

I guess i generally prefer to use smaller sanders for smaller pieces and vice versa. In my opinion it takes a lot more effort to keep a larger more powerful sander from going to far and sanding evenly than a smaller orbital. But there are plenty of times that i have used a big sander instead of planing a surface too.

Sheet sanders are usually finishing sanders. They are slow and have a small orbit. The random orbit sanders have a larger orbit and are much more aggressive. They remove stock quicker and produce a nice finish with a larger orbit. I haven't used a sheet sander in a decade.

The triangular sander is for getting into corners and it's a life saver if you need to do that type of work.

I would highly reccomend a Rockell / Porter Cable 505 half sheet sander. I own 3 of them with 150 / 180 / 220 on them. They are great for covering big areas quickly and will last forever. My oldest 505 is over 30 years old.

I use Porter Cable right angle 6 in random orbit sanders for the courser grits and smaller objects.

I always thought 1/3 and 1/4 sheet sanders to be a poor compromise.

Thanks all to share your ideas and experience.

505s are great sanders, but no longer in production.

The round sanders with holes in the paper make the paper last longer. The dust is sucked out and it does not clog the paper up so fast. They sand noticeably faster then the kind with no dust collection. I would say they also are faster then the kind without dust collection.
    Bill

What type of softwoods do you get cheaply in Brazil? I would expect you have many kinds of hardwoods easily available. I remember reading years ago about a big forest project in the Amazon where they were planting either eucalyptus or Monterrey pine trees for paper pulp in the jungle. I think it went bankrupt before the trees grew big enough to cut.
    Bill
    Modesto, Ca, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What type of softwoods do you get cheaply in Brazil? I would expect you have many kinds of hardwoods easily available. I remember reading years ago about a big forest project in the Amazon where they were planting either eucalyptus or Monterrey pine trees for paper pulp in the jungle. I think it went bankrupt before the trees grew big enough to cut.
    Bill
    Modesto, Ca, USA
    Pine is cheap. Even grade A pine (no knots) is reasonably cheap and I like to use it when I will paint or dye it.

Most of the wood I used for our home furniture was mahogany.

For floor and ceiling, it was ipe (very hard wood), structure for ceiling peroba and external furniture I prefer angelim (is hard and cheaper than ipe).

Yes, many years ago they tried to plant trees for pulp in Amazon and it was a very expensive fiasco (Projeto Jari). It was great news for the local ecosystem... :-)

There are big eucalyptus plantations in the country southeast region for both, pulp and charcoal (for steel industry) as Brazil have no economical feasible mineral coal although it is a major iron ore and steel manufacturer. It is very rare to use eucalyptus for furniture except some in form of cheap plywood...
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 07-02-2017 at 6:05 PM.