Thread: Nordfab vs Gorilla Duct & Questions

Nordfab vs Gorilla Duct & Questions

My new DC is going to be hitting the shop in Aug. ALK0-200 I have about 100' of main pipe with 8 or 9 drops atm.

I currently have 7" Oneida Galv Steel Pipe hung all throughout the shop. Lots of Alum Tape and Screws... Overall it is a major PITA to make adjustments to. We occasionally move machines etc and I dread it each and every time.

I was thinking that it is time I switch the shop to a quick fitting system, to allow reconfig's to go smoother.

Oneida has the Gorilla Duct system and of course there is Nordfab.

1. Is there any real quality difference between these two?

2. The AL-KO 200 has basically an 8" inlet. I was thinking about moving to an 8" main pipe and then branching down to the 6/5/4" machine ports or should I stay with 7" main line?

3. Do people bring the pipe all the way to the machines? I've seen some people do that, I currently use flex-tube pvc hose from gate to machine.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

I really do like the nordfab style piping One thing is when it gets plugged up it's easy to fix , it's also very easy to change. I've been getting mine at Grizzly don't really know how the price compares it's just convenient. I use as little flex hose as possible
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Regarding the 8 vs 7 - advice from ClearVue was 8 for operating multiple machines at the same time otherwise 6 is fine. I suspect this applies to most DCs and not just one brand.

In terms of bringing the pipe to the machine - as close as you can without making a lot of hard work for yourself

For quick coupling systems, there are other brands that you might want to look at - McMaster sells quick connect and sure seal, US Duct sells quick connect. Obviously Nordfab is a great brand and quality product, but expensive

I have bought nordfab and Oneida fittings and found them both to be of good quality with the Nordfab being slightly better in my opinion. Nordfab was more expensive if memory serves.

I would do the 8" pipe.

i put a flex adapter at the blast gates and ran flex pipe to the machines. It allows me to have some wiggle room with the machines.

i don't think I would have ever broken down and bought all new pipe as the stuff kept me in sticker shock. i got lucky and bought a cyclone with a LOT of fittings and pipe, but still spent another $1500 on fittings and clamps to finish my install. After using it and getting it set up I would never go back to snap lock pipe.

I have a 6" sprial system and agree that its a pain. I always found 6" to be more than adequate until I replaced my planer with a 10hp x 24" wide machine. I can't run the planer to its capacity because the 4hp Felder Dust collector can't keep up with the chips this machine can make.

I don't know if 8" pipe would help ? or if the solution is a 7.5hp Dust collector..

Today the solution has been to not run the planer to its capacity ..