Thread: R&D Bandsaws Good? / Blade selection

R&D Bandsaws Good? / Blade selection

Hello,
    Does anyone have any feedback on R&D Bandsaws a Canadian supplier?
    I am looking at ordering a sanding mop and a blade from them.

On there website that show several different types of blades that I really have no idea what might be the best/better choice.

- Industrial Silicon, Swedish Silicon, 2-Wheel Flexible Back, Metal Cutting Carbon Flexible Back, 3-Wheel or 2-Wheel - Bench Top Flexible, Furniture Band (Carver & Woodturner Band), Meat Band, Bi-Metal (Wood Cutting), i-Metal (Metal Cutting), Little Ripper Blade, Carbon Millbands, Coilstock, Ripper37, Woodslicer Swift

The back story
    I have a Delta 14" bandsaw that according to the manual I need a 91.5min - 94max inch blade..... with their replacements noted at 93 1/2"
    When I bought that saw many years ago I got 3 blades of varying tooth and depths.... or is it widths
    On a recent project.... cutting out a tree.... my highest tooth blade (maybe 6...not sure) left a lot of saw and burn marks that I have been laboriously removing with a file, dremel and sandpaper.
    I think that a higher tooth count and skinnier blade would have helped al lot with this issue

Any guidance is appreciated

R&D Bandsaws have an excellent reputation up here in the great white north, comparable to Lee Valley. Don't hesitate to contact them thru their website you will get a straight answer quickly. I had a similar question re Swedish silicon vs industrial silicon blades, Bob (I think) responded the same day (note today's a stat holiday in Canada so it might take a little longer) basically said they are the same, some people prefer the Swedish silicon blades others the Industrial silicon blades and suggested trying one of each to see what I preferred (they had a 15% discount on 3 or more blades to the end of June). I found one of their blades on sale at a local store so didn't take advantage of the discount. They are a great source for parts for 14" Delta bandsaws and the Asian clones of them.

Re Swedish silicon has to do with traditional steel making before chemistry was a science. Sweeden, Sheffield England and a few other places whose names escape me had a great reputation for quality steels. this was not because they really knew what they were doing any better but the ore and coal deposits in the region happened to have a good mix of trace elements that resulted in good chemistry in the finished products.
    look at modern High Speed steels and it is just a few percent of extra elements that make all the difference. If their ore or fuel had a few percent of chrome, cobalt or other stuff the steel produced would be much better the pure iron and carbon.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    R&D Bandsaws have an excellent reputation up here in the great white north, comparable to Lee Valley. Don't hesitate to contact them thru their website you will get a straight answer quickly. I had a similar question re Swedish silicon vs industrial silicon blades, Bob (I think) responded the same day (note today's a stat holiday in Canada so it might take a little longer) basically said they are the same, some people prefer the Swedish silicon blades others the Industrial silicon blades and suggested trying one of each to see what I preferred (they had a 15% discount on 3 or more blades to the end of June). I found one of their blades on sale at a local store so didn't take advantage of the discount. They are a great source for parts for 14" Delta bandsaws and the Asian clones of them.
    Thanks Doug, Very good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Re Swedish silicon has to do with traditional steel making before chemistry was a science. Sweeden, Sheffield England and a few other places whose names escape me had a great reputation for quality steels. this was not because they really knew what they were doing any better but the ore and coal deposits in the region happened to have a good mix of trace elements that resulted in good chemistry in the finished products.
    look at modern High Speed steels and it is just a few percent of extra elements that make all the difference. If their ore or fuel had a few percent of chrome, cobalt or other stuff the steel produced would be much better the pure iron and carbon.
    Bill D
    Thank you for the explanation

I am thinking the Swedish Silicon as I can get a 1/8" width 14TPI..... I think that's what I should have used for cutting out the tree shape