Thread: Disc Sander Adhesive

Disc Sander Adhesive

What is the best adhesive for applying 10" discs to steel plate, allowing for easy removal?

If you need a flat surface, the PSA discs are best because the adhesive is more uniformly applied than you could do.

Otherwise there's 3m "feathering disc" adhesive for sanding discs. Not sure how well it works with larger discs but for small ones it's good.

I have got some that is I think is over 25 yrs old .It is a white glue ,hide based I think ,and you put it on like contact cement both sides let it tack up and stick it but needs to sit over night before use. And that is why I still have that old glue to much of a pain to use. I have switched to a PSA backed paper discs.

I put this on my sanding disc and have had no problems with them. http://www.industrialabrasives.com/1...929-p-849.html
    They also sell the hook and loop disc to go with the pads. The hook and loop make easy change. Prior to this I think I used David method on the shopsmith disc.
    Bob

I use the 3M spray contact adhesive. Never had a disk come off and with some assistance, the disks can be removed easily. I do make a point of staying away from the edges while sanding.

Terry, do you spray both surfaces ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    I put this on my sanding disc and have had no problems with them. http://www.industrialabrasives.com/1...929-p-849.html
    They also sell the hook and loop disc to go with the pads. The hook and loop make easy change. Prior to this I think I used David method on the shopsmith disc.
    Bob
    How do the paper backed hook and loop discs perform compared to the cloth backed psa discs ?

The adapter is PSA but the disc them selves are cloth. You put the adapter on once and then change the sanding disc as needed. My adapter has been attached and in use for probably 10 -15 years. When sanding disc wears out or change grit, just peel and stick. I think they are all cloth backed that I get from industrial abrasives.

I do. I need to make the response at least ten more characters than just "I do." So I did.

3M Spray. Spray the back of the disc and the cleaned off plate. Let dry to a tacky feel and line it up real good before making contact. Will hold real good but, like contact cement, but you can peal this off the plate later for changing paper.

On a related note, in the future buy the self stick paper for the sander. Works like a charm and does require all the fuse of an adhesive.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------